TechSpot

Heavy smartphone users touch their devices more than 5,000 times a day, study finds

By Shawn Knight
Jul 8, 2016
Post New Reply
  1. Smartphones have become an essential part of our lives and for millions, an addiction. Don’t believe me? Perhaps the latest study on the matter will make you a believer.

According to research firm Dscount, the average smartphone user taps, swipes and clicks their device a staggering 2,617 times each day. Among the heaviest users (the top 10 percent), that figure more than doubles to 5,427. That works out to nearly a million touches for the average user and two million for the seriously addicted.

Dscount also found that the average user tallies 2.42 hours of screen time each day with the heavyweights registering 3.75 hours. That works out to 76 separate sessions each day on average and 132 sessions a day for power users.

Elsewhere, the firm found that 52 percent of phone sessions involved interacting with just a single app. (unsurprisingly, that app was Facebook). Another 27 percent of the time, only two apps were utilized per session.

Dscount collected its data using what it called a diverse sample of 94 Android users. The firm built a supplementary smartphone tool to track every user’s interaction across a five-day period, 24 hours a day. That's a pretty small sample size but the data speaks for itself.

Across the entire period, Dscount recorded 1,120,317 total touches, 60,003 total minutes and 33,090 individual sessions.

Image courtesy Dragon Images, Shutterstock

Permalink to story.

2. SirGCal

SirGCal TS Maniac Posts: 365   +136

And none of them washed their hands... Eww...

3. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Evangelist Posts: 1,631   +432

Huh?

4. Capaill

Capaill TS Addict Posts: 290   +92

How have they not got RSI by now?

Also, it's dscout.

5. p51d007

p51d007 TS Evangelist Posts: 910   +386

I'm a tail end baby boomer, and I have to agree. When I'm on campus from time to time, it's like these things have grown out of their bodies. They NEVER put them down, always in their hands. After work, mine gets put down and isn't picked up unless I get a phone call from family. Otherwise it is never touched.

LiveResistance likes this.
  6. EClyde

EClyde TS Guru Posts: 707   +181

When I was young I touched my device a lot but not 5000 k a day

7. LiveResistance

LiveResistance TS Booster Posts: 85   +64

Yes, this is me too. I usually come in from work or wherever, put my keys and wallet away, and turn my phone OFF. (I do still have a landline if someone needs to get a hold of me) I just don't understand the complete obsession with the stupid things. Look up once in a while and enjoy the trees, flowers, mountains, and all of God's creation. OK sorry, I'm done with my rant. :)

p51d007 likes this.
  8. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke TS Guru Posts: 930   +354

guess you didn't read the TechSpot article that revealed 'the toilet texter' phenomenon LOL

9. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,695   +1,882

I suppose it's time we updated the old song lyrics, "when I think about you I touch myself", to, "when I think about you I touch my smartphone"....:eek: