Hello..1st post be gentle with advice..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi ppl, i have a Amd Athlon 1400 processor on a Asus a7a266 mobo with 512mb ddr ram and geforce ti 64mb graphics card and western digital 60gb hard drive....I am starting to edit video and occasionally play games thus need to upgrade all of the above...Questions..Can i install an athlonxp 2400+ processor on this board?..can i upgrade to a Ati Radeon 9500 pro?(mobo manual mentions agp 4x enabled..but not agp 8x capability...does that matter?..can i upgrade hard disk to diamond max 9 120gb hd (ata133)?..or do i need to stick to ata100 drive as top limit?...Any advice greatly appreciated

You won't have any problem running a 9500 pro on that board... It just won't run at AGP 8x...
It might run a wee bit slower than what it would otherwise, but I'd doubt you'd notice...

You can upgrade your harddrive to the 120GB ATA133, but it'll only run at ATA100 speed...
Same as above, though ATA100 are usually a bit cheaper...

But you can't add an Athlon XP 2400+...
The card doesn't support Athlon XP's, so you'll have to buy a new motherboard if you want a new cpu...

Hope this helps :)

mememe77 and MrGaribaldi

I have that mobo - A7A266 and just installed a 2400 Thoroughbred following BIOS revision 1012 - works but the multiplier is locked at 17 and bus must be 100/33 else it won't POST. Also getting many Blue Screens of Death ! Posted a request for help to ASUS but nil response (I also looked at thet ASUS page and thought that I was OK !!!)

Regards

Brian

According to the ASUS website, you could install such a CPU given that you have a board revision 1.10 or later & that you've flashed the BIOS to 1012.

Make sure all those conditions are met before purchasing it, would be a shame to buy a CPU that you can't use.:(

BTW welcome to TechSpot.:)

Thanks Didou

Mine is revision 1.03 ! (I didn't spot the need for revision 1.10 on the ASUS site)

I've used the manual switches to get (perhaps) closer. Setting 4,6,7,8 and 10 to ON gives me an FSB of 133 and a multiplier of 15

The bios says that = 1800 (my maths says that = 1995) but WCPUID recognises it as an Athlon 2400.

Not really sure what I have now but it does seem faster. At least it's running .. anything more you think I can do (apart from getting another MOBO (do you have a recommendation ?)

Regards

Brian

Well a 2400+ does run at 2GHZ so that's more or less what you have. Glad you got it working anyways.:)

If you don't have any stability issues, I think you can keep using it that way. You can always use a program like PCMark or Sisoft Sandra to see if you have the same performance of a similar chip in their databases.

Seems pretty good. Sandra reports almost identical to their 2400 so think I'll leave well alone (for now :) )
Now to sort out the same thing on an MSI board - that won't boot at all with this chip (serves me right for buying one for me and one for my son !). Going to search around on the forum. Thanks again Didou - great forum

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back