Help/Advise needed with RAM on Dell Dimension 4600

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Dell Dimension DIM4600
Intel
Pentium 4 CPU 2.60 GHz
2.59 GHZ 256 MB RAM

I bought 2 sticks of:
512MB True PC3200 DDR400 DDR-SDRAM 400 MHz fast!
CL3 , 3.2 GB/sec Bandwidth
184 pin Dimm (for desktop PCs, not for laptops) 64x64 modules, sub 5 nanosecond
Backward compatible to PC2700 and PC2100
Non ecc, non registered, unbuffered

This is what all the websites said that my computer's RAM needed.
My problem is that I can't get the computer to boot up with the new sticks in any of the slots. When I put the original RAM sticks back in, then the system boots up normally. When the computer read all 4 sticks and booted, I got the blue screen of death that said mismatched memory, or either I get beeps and blanks screen.
Help!
I updated all our computers and this is the last one and mine and I need more RAM!!
Any help will be greatly appreciated, this is about to drive me crazy because changing the RAM was so simple on the other 2 computers and mine is not cooperating at all.

Thanks in advance,
Carla

Best thing to do is return the ram. But a different brand of pc-3200. It's really no big deal so don't worry! Get Kingston, Crucial, OCZ, Patriot, any name brand. It'll work as long as it's compatible. Most any pc-3200 ram will do the trick.

thanks,

thanks, do you know why the RAM I bought isn't working right? Is it because of the brand they are? I guess my computer is picky! :)
Cause I can't return it so I guess I lost my money on them.
thank you again,
Carla

There are lots of reasons why it won't work. Dell boards are not always what they say... so your memory may be too fast, or the memory you received was damaged before arrival. But CL-3 is NOT fast memory.
Memory is often a case of patience.
The 4600 is a good and reliable machine...
You didn't say what memory you received, but you can go by the report you get from www.crucial.com which says DDR PC3200.. I have a 4600 for my kids DDR PC3200 works well... but I use only Crucial, Kingston, Toshiba, or Infineon.
It is possible that what you purchased is not what it is labeled to be.

kpo6969, that link was published in September of 2003, and is no longer relevant to that machine in important regards. There is all the new stuff you need online at www.dell.com with your service tag. There is nothing finiky about the power supply that comes with the 4600. It is rugged for normal use, working on an excellent (for its day) board. The memory listings at www.crucial.com are normal and will work with all Dell 4600 machines, as do all modules for PC2700 and PC3200 sold at www.directron.com, www.4allmemory.com, www.memoryzone.com, www.kahlon.com, and www.zipzoomfly.com... so I assume that is consistent elsewhere..

The problem with the CarlaJNJ 4600 is most likely incorrect or defective memory, unless the slots have been damaged by two much force or an incorrect removal.

kpo6969, are you saying you have seen PC2700 and PC3200 memory in both 1.8 AND 2.2 voltages???? and only the lower worked? Every module we have used successfully has been 2.4, 2.5, 2.5, 2.77, or 2.9. There is nothing about the voltage that should make a difference. But 2.6V is the most common, and was found in the machine, as shipped.

The 4600 is a rock solid board. All memory works, if it is not defective. The 4600 and its sister, the 4700, are two of the most reliable boards ever made... and have more in circulation than any other.

raybay said:
kpo6969, that link was published in September of 2003, and is no longer relevant to that machine in important regards. There is all the new stuff you need online at www.dell.com with your service tag. There is nothing finiky about the power supply that comes with the 4600. It is rugged for normal use, working on an excellent (for its day) board. The memory listings at www.crucial.com are normal and will work with all Dell 4600 machines, as do all modules for PC2700 and PC3200 sold at www.directron.com, www.4allmemory.com, www.memoryzone.com, www.kahlon.com, and www.zipzoomfly.com... so I assume that is consistent elsewhere..

The problem with the CarlaJNJ 4600 is most likely incorrect or defective memory, unless the slots have been damaged by two much force or an incorrect removal.

kpo6969, are you saying you have seen PC2700 and PC3200 memory in both 1.8 AND 2.2 voltages???? and only the lower worked? Every module we have used successfully has been 2.4, 2.5, 2.5, 2.77, or 2.9. There is nothing about the voltage that should make a difference. But 2.6V is the most common, and was found in the machine, as shipped.

The 4600 is a rock solid board. All memory works, if it is not defective. The 4600 and its sister, the 4700, are two of the most reliable boards ever made... and have more in circulation than any other.
If you read my post I stated in my case only, since I have a E521 and know what the requirements for my system are. Do not put words in my mouth, read before you speak! BTW: This is what is compatable with her system:

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Dimension+4600

And who said anything about power supplies anyway, ram voltage is what I was saying.
And is there a newer updated 4600 that I don't know about. Please supply the link or stand corrected. Put up or shut up!

Why would you volunteer information about another model of Dell without firmly noting that difference. That sort of thing is unhelpful.

We have already known the Crucial download site and referred to it in the posts.

raybay said:
Why would you volunteer information about another model of Dell without firmly noting that difference. That sort of thing is unhelpful.

We have already known the Crucial download site and referred to it in the posts.
Your absolutely correct, I didn't realize that reading comprehension was so difficult. I appoligize for my lack of knowledge of the above mentioned component compatabilities and I defer to your judgement. And what is your solution to the question? I will refer to your database of facts and see if the answer is there. I got alot a reading to do to catch up on.
https://www.techspot.com/vb/search.php?searchid=1385713

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back