Help, BSOD after installing ATI Radeon 8500LE (while using Windows not during bootup)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone. I installed the ATI Radeon 8500LE yesterday, replacing a Geforce4 MX 420. I've installed this card before in the past, but I keep forgetting what the problem was and attempted to install it a few times. This time was no different, now that I see what happens, it was the same problem as before. And so now I've decided to ask for help online so that hopefully I will be able to have this card in my system permanently.

These are the details:

- I've uninstalled previous nVidia drivers and installed the ATI driver Catalyst 6.11, and also Omega Driver 3.8205 (since later versions don't support 8500le).

- I did all the hardware things, removing old card and inserting new one.

- It boots up to Windows fine, there's no problems during boot-up. In fact during the first few moments everything seems to run fine and look okay.

After some time though, after about 10 minutes or so - but really I think it's something I do that triggers it -, suddenly, all the applications would freeze up; I can move the mouse but I can't click anything, everything's frozen (the resize cursor does appear when you're by the edge of a window, but if I try to click it, then that resize cursor will be permanent but I can still move the cursor around like always). About 10 seconds after this happens, the screen goes blank for about 5 seconds, then after that it comes back to everything with everything unfrozen. I've started to notice a pattern after seeing this happen a few times. It seems that this happens when I'm scrolling through webpages with a lot of text, or something of that nature where there's a body of text moving very fast. You know how sometimes when you're scrolling up or down a webpage there's that slight lag, especially with older computers, I think when that happens that's what triggers it. Like just now, while I'm typing, I jumped back to the beginning of this paragraph to add something, but because I'm adding new words, the rest of the paragraph shifts down, and when that block of text shifts down to the next line, same thing happens.

This doesn't happen all the time though when I'm scrolling down a webpage or something similar, but most of the time that's when this problem occurs, I guess because it depends on how much text there is. However, in addition to the sequence of freezing-going blank-being restored, another thing that happens is all the text gets scrambled (and sometimes some pictures). HERE IS A PIC. If the window is not selected, sometimes the text in that window will be restored but once I select it it gets scrambled again. I don't have any kind of virus on my system, it only happens when this card is installed. Then that same pattern of freezing-blank-restore will happen again, but now when it gets restored, everything is really sluggish when I'm scrolling a page, similar to a really old system. And then finally, if it goes through that same pattern again, this time, after the screen goes blank, a BSOD appears instead. It says KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR somewhere at the top, and something like "memory being dumped" somewhere at the bottom of the screen.

Judging from the symptoms (momentary freeze, scrambled text, BSOD, etc.), does anyone know what the problem might be? Is it the video card itself, the drivers, bios, my memory?

Here's what I have done. I have tried lowering the clock speed of the card -20, but that didn't work [much]. In my past attempts, I think I tried installing other drivers but it didn't work; I've have to try that again.

Uh it started happening again, which means I'll submit this thread now and restart my comp since that resets everything.

If anyone can explain to me what the problem is I'd greatly appreciate it.

Here's the first pic again.
Here's a pic of distorted graphics at the middle.

Here is a pic of the scrambled text.

Here's a pic of the distorted graphics.

Also, when I'm playing a game, for example Counterstrike, when there is a lot going on on the screen, the keyboard and mouse response is delayed, maybe a second or two delay, but it has never frozen (..yet). It usually freezes and goes blank when I'm scrolling through text.

I'm pretty sure it's because your card either isn't compatible with your OS or your there is something wrong with your OS. Since the old card didn't do that then it HAS to be that card though. If you have another computer handy, try installing the card on that one and see if it does the same thing. It just might be a bad card too.

This Stop message is usually caused by a bad block (sector) in a paging file, a virus, a disk controller error, or failing RAM. In rare cases, it is caused when nonpaged pool resources run out. It is also caused by defective hardware.

What I would try is

click Start, click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Event Viewer -> look at the last error-> right click it and select event properties-> post the Event ID

you can also go to C:\windows\minidump\minidump.dmp to post the last crash for debugging

Okay I've check the Event Viewer, the only errors that are listed are ones that happened before I installed the card, and it seems they were all related to the Counterstrike game. I did get warnings though, 2 types, and they happen one after the other, a number of times. Here are the Event IDs of the warnings:

Event ID 1524 and 1517

Warning 1524 occurs first, and then 2 or sometimes 3 seconds later Warning 1517 occurs. Could these be related to the screen freezing and going blank combo?

I just looked down the list right now and it seems that I've been getting these warnings even before installing the card, hmmm. Could you tell me what these warnings refer to?

Also I just realized that the above is the Application log file. I checked the System log file, and yes there is an error that occurred a few times; the Event ID is 7026. And by looking at the time, it seems about right, they look like the times the freezing/blanking problem occurred.

Tonight has been strange though. I was hit by the problem tonight 2 or 3 times, but after the third time, when it recovered from the blank screen, the scrolling became really sluggish like I'm on an old system, as I've mentioned previously. What's strange is that I've been using it like this for hours, and nothing happened yet, no scrambled text or graphics and no BSOD. For the majority of the time though I haven't been on a web browser looking at text, except here, and doing so cautiously; mainly I've been just playing a game on an emulator.

And that is one of the things I'd like to understand. Why is it that the graphic-related stuff is rarely affected or does not trigger the problems, but rather everything text-related is/does. The emulator was running fine, but still when I'm scrolling through a page, with anything on it, it scrolls sluggishly. I don't know why, but for some strange reason I keep thinking it might have something to do with the RAM, maybe it's because I read in another forum that that was a possibility.

Thanks to everyone for helping me out so far, I hope the info on the error can help determine the problem.

I've found the minidump.dmp, but I don't know how to open it. Can me tell me what to do?

Also, when I grab and move a window around, it's sluggish as well, again, reminiscent of a slow or old computer.

1517 and 1524 seem to always happen together and may occur if Microsoft Windows or third-party programs such as printer drivers or virus scanners do not stop and release resources when you log off your computer. Windows saved <your user name> registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use. This is often caused by services running as a user account.

Those are just warnings though not a biggie, there are some steps you could take to get rid of them, but lets focus on your real problem which is your errors.

If you expand the error by right clicking and selecting error properties, then click the details tab, does it show the source? I am guessing it will show in your minidump, and I am guessing that the source is 'service control manager'

If it is service control manager -> it just means that a device is not working properly, its driver fails to load.

If I had to guess -> I would say you didn't completely remove the drivers for the other card, you have the wrong drivers for the new card, or the ATI is simply defective

I am pretty sure what its going to show already, but to attach the minidump just save it to your desktop, then come here and click the paperclip at the top of this box -> select browse under Upload file from computer -> select the location of the file which should now be C:\desktop

Yes, the source is stated as Service Control Manager. I really hope it is the drivers that are the problem and nothing else. I also have another error here with the ID 1002 and with the source being Dhcp; what does this do?

How do I save the minidump to some place?, unless you meant I should move it to desktop from the windows folder. Also, is it safe for me to post up the minidump, is there any sensitive data on there?

Have you had any connection problems? The new error is The IP address lease <ip address> for the Network Card with network address <MAC address> has been denied by the DHCP server <server ip address> (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message).

To fix this error you usually need to open the command prompt and type
ipconfig /release, then type ipconfig /renew

You also need to go into network adapter properties, select tcp/ip and click properties and make sure that your DNS servers are set to 'Obtain DNS server addresses Automatically' and make sure that you don't have static IP addresses entered.

There is no sensitive info in your minidump, it just says what is in your memory at the time of the crash, programs and drivers, most of it is in code anyways. Just click the paperclip up above, select browse, navigate to C:\windows\minidump\minidump.dmp and upload attach it if you want somebody or myself to look at it. If not we can keep troubleshooting your errors.

My guess, because your computer doesn't do this with the other card is that you need to do the following:

You should already have all Nvidia drivers uninstalled at this point.

Go to the manufacturer of your motherboard's website and make sure that your chipset drivers are up to date

1. Click on Start, then Control Panel, then go to Add/Remove Programs.
2. At the top of the list you should see several ATI entries. Select the entry entitled ATI Software Uninstall Utility, and click Change/Remove.
3. You will be prompted to restart your system once the uninstall is complete.
4. Once restarted, check the Add/Remove Programs list again for any remaining ATI software or other drivers that you have tried.
5. If any ATI software is still listed, click Change/Remove on those entries to uninstall each one individually.
6. Next, please scroll through the list until you find an entry called DAO (IF there use step 7)
7. Select DAO, then Click Change/Remove to uninstall this program.

1.Go to link and put in your OS and select your card from the list, hit GO. When the latest drivers come up -> Go all the way to the bottom and select previous driver versions
Select version Catalyst 7.7 which was released in July and was the last driver to 100% support AGP. Double-click on the downloaded driver file. Click Run
Use the default directory for extracting the files and press the Install button.
http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers

2. Click Next on the first install screen.
3. Click Yes to the License agreement.
4. Click the Custom button.
5. Select the driver, catalyst control center (if wanted) and uncheck the box for steam
# The installer will start to load the display driver first.
Next you will see the WDM Capture drivers load (for VIVO or All-In-Wonder).
The Catalyst Control Center setup will start shortly after.(if selected)
A dialog box will indicate the install progress.

6.Click Finish to restart your computer.

Many people will get an error message at this point like No compatible driver found ->Follow below.

7.Device manager-> add hardware => have disk
8.Select the Driver location yourself which should be C:\ATI\Driver Folder\Driver

I haven't had any connection problems, but there were a couple of times where I couldn't connect to the web for about 10 minutes each time. I did the thing in command prompt and selected "Obtain dns server addresses automatically" (it was set to that automatically). The error seems to happen a couple of times a day, hopefully it's fixed.

Here is the minidump file, View attachment 27323.

When I uninstall the nvidia drivers is everything completely removed, or do some files get left behind that need to be removed as well?

I went to the link and chose my OS and card and when I click GO, it shows version 6.11 and the previous versions start from 6.11 and down, and I just realized that version 6.1 is here, which is the version the Omega driver told me to get, not 6.11. I'll try out both 6.1 and 7.7 and see if they work.

A device which does not exist was specified. I am starting to think the card is just defective.

Omega drivers are fine, or use 6.1 -> I forgot to update that part of my instructions for your card.

Once downloaded and installed, you should Go to start, control panel, device manager, expand display adapters -> Right click your card, select properties, drivers tab -> Click update drivers. when ask to look for you, select that you will pick the location. At the next screen select that you 'have disk' then go to C:\ATI\<driverfoldername>\<drivername> where driver name is the actual file that you just installed

After we are sure that you have the new drivers installed, try stress testing your card http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Benchmarks/Video-Card-Stability-Test.shtml

Hi I know it's been a while. I kinda forgot about this since what's happened, so I apologize for not responding for a while. What happened was that I took the card to a friend's house to test it out. He uses two computers so we installed it on each computer. And it seemed to be working, we only tested it for a few minutes, but we tried everything, especially the things that triggered the errors on my comp, and it was working fine the whole way through.

There was one problem however. It was when we tried running the game Civilization 4; it was actually running fine when we started a game, but I asked him to load a saved game where all the shroud was unveiled and there were a lot of buildings and stuff and to zoom out all the way so everything on the map can be seen at once. While it was in the process of zooming out, as it got closer to finishing zooming out, it started stuttering and was becoming choppy, then when it almost finished zooming out, it froze, and then the screen went blank, and that's it (we could've waited to see if the screen would eventually come back, but my friend reset the machine before we could find out). The video card only had 64MB RAM, so I don't know if it was due to lack of memory or if it was just a different account of the same problem and that the card was indeed defective.

Since it couldn't run on my comp, I told my friend he could hold on to it if he'd like. So it's at his house now and I have my old Geforce4 MX 420 installed again, which is why this hasn't been on my mind recently and I forgot all about this place. I really want a better graphics card, and I think I know which one I'm going to get. But I have a question, should the fact that a video card has a fan rather than just a heatsink affect my decision in buying it? I've always thought that it was necessary to buy a video card with a fan attached, but then I realize that the the ones w/o a fan should run fine too otherwise they wouldn't have made it that way in the first place.

I'd like to thank everyone for giving me their input and trying to help me, especially Blind Dragon. Clearly you've been the one helping me out the most, so thanks.

Also, I tried installing the Omega Drivers before, I don't remember which version exactly, but it was the one they told me to install for my card, and that didn't fix it either, so I just gave up on it and left it at my friend's house after testing it there. So no I don't think it was anything driver-related.

So again my question is, should the fact that a video card has a fan rather than just a heatsink affect my decision in buying it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back