help choosing computer compnents to new rig, custom build

By squattingbear13
Sep 26, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey everyone, I am new to these forums and I would like some help choosing all the right computer components to the new rig i am buying soon. I plan on spending about $1500. These are the parts that i have pre-selected, and i would like ur opinion on how good/bad my choice is. Also if u have a suggestion to what might be better for around the same price please tell me. The total amount I got is about $1300.

Maxtor DiamondMax 250GB Serial ATA 7200RPM Hard Drive w/16MB Buffer $104.00

Ultra ULT31314 X-Finity 600W ATX Power Supply $89.99

eVGA 256-P2-N538-AX e-Geforce 7800 GTX PCI Express 256MB Video Card & eVGA 133-K8-NF41 nForce 4 Athlon 64(FX) Skt939 Motherboard Bundle
    $549.00

3Artec WSM-52X-ER 52x24x52 E-IDE/ATAPI CD-RW $26.99

Thermaltake Shark Series VA7000SWA Full Tower Aluminum Case $147.99

Zalman CNPS7000B-ALCU LED CPU Cooler Retail $35.99

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Processor (Venice) Socket 939 Open Box $207.99

Patriot PDC1G3200+XBLK 1GB Kit DDR400 PC3200 Dual Channel Memory, 2 Sticks Of 512 $159.00
  2. vnf4ultra

vnf4ultra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,195

3. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso Newcomer, in training Posts: 25,948   +17

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I agree with vnf4ultra your system looks nice.

Stay away from the Ultra psu, they are not of the best quality.

Take a look at this excellent article on psu`s. The psu thread. You will notice that the Ultra brand, is on the psu`s to avoid list.

I would recommend either Enermax, of Antec, for a good quality psu.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:
  4. jarvis

jarvis Newcomer, in training Posts: 113

Im jealous...
  5. Merc14

Merc14 Newcomer, in training Posts: 464

6. squattingbear13

squattingbear13 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Hey guys thanks for helping me out. I took everyones suggestion about the ultra psu, and also looked at the psu thread. And I think that mobo that came with the graphics card is SLI. Because if it is I might have a hard time finding the right psu. On the psu thread only certain power supplys are approved for SLI. I only reason i say this is because i consider buying the same card in the future so i can use the dual SLI express. Anyways, since i have thinking about the SLI i have chosen this psu so far....

Turbo-Cool 510 Deluxe/SLI
  7. AtK SpAdE

AtK SpAdE TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,846

A very good choice indeed. Anything from PC power is top of the line
  8. squattingbear13

I have also been lookin at different CPU's cuz the one i chose is on back order now. I would like some suggestion on this new CPU i have chosen. Also will it run fine with all the other components that i posted earlier in this thread. This CPU is only about 20 bucks more.

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Processor (Winchester) Socket 939
  9. vnf4ultra

vnf4ultra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,195

The pcp&c is a very good psu, but I wouldn't spend that much on a psu, unless I was very rich. I'm not saying it's a bad psu, it's an excellent one, but I just think it's overpriced.

The psu I listed, the Tagan 480w, is sli ready, it has 2 pci-e power connectors anyway.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817101516
    Reviews
    http://www.viperlair.com/reviews/cases/other/psu/tagan/tg480/
    http://www.pcreview.co.uk/reviews/Miscellaneous/Tagan_TG480-U22/
    And in hexus's 34psu roundup it passed.
    http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews/review.php?dXJsX3Jldmlld19JRD0xMzU5JnVybF9wYWdlPTEz

Here's another cheaper sli psu.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817189001

The venice core is newer, and improved, it would be the best choice.
  10. squattingbear13

Yea I was gonna get the Venice 3500+ but its on back order now, so i dunno for sure. Also if I was wondering if what u guys think about the San Diego 3700+ CPU.
  11. TheKolkster

TheKolkster Newcomer, in training Posts: 16

You can get a 300 GB Western Digital on Ebay for about $130. I think its a better deal, plus I like Western Digitals better than Maxtors.

Edit: Never mind. I just noticed thats a Serial ATA drive.
  12. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,277   +177

You didn't say if this PC is intended as a gaming rig but I presume it is. If so, consider including DVD capability with your choice of configurations. The reason is more future high end games will likely come on a DVD instead of multiple CDs.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.