Help! computer freezing on me ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helios1276

Hey, I'm not that comptuer savvy and was wondering if their was a tech-head here with an answer?
Symptoms:
Whenever i right click on icons in my documents the hour glass appears on the pointer and stays there until i end the process (alt ctrl delete). This also seems to happen with the recycle bin as well, plus ive noticed my widget for storing desktop icons is freezing as well:dead:

I'vw scanned with avg, avast and spybot but found nothing wrong.

Im using Windows xp sp2, my laptop is : intelcore dou 1.66 1gb ram

Any help would be amazing as im trying to study here but just end up getting angry at this computer of mine!! lol

what type of files, sounds like a typical error with video codecs/filters trying to retrieve info from the selected file. Try uninstalling any recent codec programs.

might not be it at all tho, but its the only related lockups Ive seen before

Cheers for the reply, its no specific file type..my documents ..my pictures ..anytime i right click really (on an icon) im seeing the problem

so if u just open the folder and don't click on anything it doesn't crash/freeze?

And is it on right click only? might be something in the right click popup menu thats the problem, did u install anything recently?

ahhhhm..i cant even get the right click menu to pop up , it freezes before then. all i can remember installing recently is a download accelerator and avast when avg didnt find find anything. im noticing ,as well, that sometimes the comp wont shut off properly forcing me to hold in the power button..which even I know is bad lol

oh ya forgot to add , that ya it's only when i right click. i read a bit online..could it be something to do with my registry??? ..which i'm terrified of mssing with !!

well it wont popup if one of the programs in it has a problem. boot in safe mode and see if rightclick works.

To try and see where the problem lies, rightclick on "my computer" and choose "manage" then goto the event viewer section.. clear all the events 1st in the "application" and "system" sections. Reboot and rightclick, get the error and look in event viewer if any errors was logged under system/application. if ur lucky u'll get a appliaction name and see whats causing it.

Also try running "msconfig" and goto the startup section and disable everything, reboot and check for the error again.

I'm off to bed goodluck

ok , tried msconfig and booted with everything off..still not working! if anybody has a clue i would be eternaly greatfull! im a student and paying for a call out is not an option. thanks

Im not sure how to boot in safe mood to be honest *scratches head*, I noticed that if I log in as 'guest' rather than my(administrator) account then there is none of the problems I have been having.

when it sais "starting windows" u press F8 and choose safe mode. But if guess works then forget that, do u have xp home or pro?

Ur not supposed to log in as administrator, create a new profile by copying the settings from administrator.

open control panel and create a new user, set it to computer administrator not "limited account".

Then rightclick on my computer -> properties -> advanced -> user profiles (settings button).. click on your current account and "copy to" to the new user u created

Hey , I gave that a shot but the option to 'copy to' wont highlight for me so i cant do it?? I tried doing it in the new (administrator) account i created , thats waht happened . Cant do it in the old account cos I cant right click.

Gah.. well u can try the file and settings transfer wizard, but im afraid it will transfer the rightclick problem also. Maybe u should just manually move the contents of the desktop/start menu/my documents folders from ur old accnt to the new one u made. I think thats the easiest and safest way to get ur things back to normal and the pc working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back