Help! Computer starts for 2 seconds then shuts off!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So heres the situation.

I recently purchased a new case for my computer and was succesfully able to move all my computer parts from my old case to the new one. The computer started and worked perfect. I turned the computer off and left the room. The next day when i turned my comp on it started, but the monitor would remain blank and i couldnt get to the BIOS or anything. Shocked, i attempted to fix the problem by reseating the graphics card and RAM, only when i turned the computer on again it would only boot for about 2 seconds with the computer and fans whirring normally when suddenly it shut off. I still cant figure out how to fix the problem and am beggining to think my MB might not be working any more. my MB is an ASUS a7n8x-x.

Does anyone have a clue on how to fix this problem???
Any input would be greatly apreciated.

This going to sound real annoying to you.

But remove the motherboard again !
Check when removing that all posts and wires (bare) are not touching eachother
If possible (better to do this) "bench test"
ie nothing connected to back of motherboard except video (onboard preferably - if pos) and power, (and ram and cpu and heatsink/fan)
Short the power pins (screwdriver will do) and hopefully it turns on.
To turn off pull the power cord (or short the power pins for 3 secs)

If that worked, do one thing added at a time
Then re-install m/b and test again.

zFlintlockz said:
So heres the situation.

I recently purchased a new case for my computer and was succesfully able to move all my computer parts from my old case to the new one. The computer started and worked perfect. I turned the computer off and left the room. The next day when i turned my comp on it started, but the monitor would remain blank and i couldnt get to the BIOS or anything. Shocked, i attempted to fix the problem by reseating the graphics card and RAM, only when i turned the computer on again it would only boot for about 2 seconds with the computer and fans whirring normally when suddenly it shut off. I still cant figure out how to fix the problem and am beggining to think my MB might not be working any more. my MB is an ASUS a7n8x-x.

Does anyone have a clue on how to fix this problem???
Any input would be greatly apreciated.
The sudden shutdown 2 seconds after turn on is a sign of CPU overheating (it has overtemperature protection) check if the cpu heatsink is sitting firmly on the cpu and held tight to the motherboard, that may be the problem.
Good luck

Alright. So i removed my MB from the case and set it up on a nice piece of cardboard connected the cpu, ram, and graphics card back to the MB and used the screwdriver to jump the computer. Unfortunatly i got the same results before so i removed the ram and graphics card seperatly and tried it after removing each one (I dont know if this will actually prove anything) and still the computer started up then shut off.

Then i removed the processor, cleaned it and applied new thermal glue before reseating it on the MB, but my comp still wont function.

Does this mean either my MB or CPU might be malfunctioning?

Eddy Rassy says CPU due to overheating and/or poor mounting
I say Motherboard

You must swap the CPU to confirm this (although I don't think your able to)

Last ditch efforts

Replace the ram
Reset the bios (pins - probably done)
Try another power supply (this is a high possibility)
Blow out the motherboard
Clean the motherboard with circuit board cleaner
Test for 5 secs without cpu fan attached
Test without keyboard/mouse

I expect that any pci card removed (actually everything you can is removed including harddrive)

Also visually inspect the m/b all over for caps issues and heat marks

You say reset the Bios. How exactly do i do that? And what does blow out the motherboard mean? Sorry I'm not to tech savvy.

I tried switching the power supply and ram (I didnt have another CPU to switch). I also swapped cpu fans and tried it without one real quick but none of that seemed to help. I still have yet to really clean up the motherboard and inspect it carefully. What exactly would i be looking for?

Thanks for your input so far!

Hi zFlintlockz again

You say reset the Bios. How exactly do i do that
You will need to refer to your motherboard manual, as each way of resetting is different to the next. Also safety precautions too.
But normally there is a 2 pin jumper on a 3 pins= connector, next to the CMOS button battery, that you pull out and plug in to the next 2 pins.
But I don't know (refer to manual - download from web if you need to)
what does blow out the motherboard mean
There are 2 options here:
Easy option: Try to blow (ideally with compressed air - but you can just blow hard from your mouth, without spitting ie dry wind) out all the dust (without removing motherboard from case)
Hard Option: Remove the motherboard. Blow out all dust (see above line) Then clean the circuit board with electronic circuit board cleaner. You should also blow out all devices too (powersupply, ram, CPU Heatsink...)

Well...i figured out how to reset the bios and i thoroughly cleaned the motherboard out...and yet...nothing. I figure that the MB is no longer working.

So i think its time to go shopping at newegg for some new comp parts. It's about time i did anyhow i guess.

Thanks for your help kimsland

If you buy a new M/b, you will also need new ram and CPU (unless you get the same M/b that you have now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back