TechSpot

Help deciding on Case/fans

By OnePanda
Oct 7, 2005
  1. Well I'm looking at getting the Abit AW8-MAX 3rd Eye II and a 3ghz 64bit p4. I've heard many people talk about the p4 running around 70 degrees at full load, so I wanted help on deciding what a good case (and fans) I should get for this setup.
    Is it possible for it to idle within 30-40 and run at full under 50 degrees without water cooling?
    Aside from a good case, what's a good heat sink and fan combo for this p4?

Thanks for the suggestions :D

2. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,483

if it was my choice i'd take an a64 system instead, but you can make the choice the way you want. i rccomend than antec P180 (it's pricey but well worth it) becasue of it's great airflow and quietness. for $70 you can pick up a soho file server knockoff (very good-i have one and it is fun to mod) that has stellar airflow as well.

for a HSF i reccomend a zalman 7x00 series model, make sure your box/mobo can fit one. you should also take a gander at thermaltake's offerings, but don't expect any of 'em to be neraly as quiet of the zalman models. and those temps you mentioned are a bit too low for your high end air cooling.

make sure your get a P4 6xx series or a pentium-D, because the 5xx/prescott models run very very very hot.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.