TechSpot

Help! Dell Inspiron 6000 won't power up

By emarkd
Jan 26, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello all,

First time posting here. This looks like a strong community and I hope somebody can help me.

I've got an Inspiron 6000 that is several years old and has never given me any major trouble until last night. It's a Pentium M 1.6 with 1.25 Gigs ram on two modules - 256 MB that came with it and a 1 Gig module that I added a couple of years ago. It runs Ubuntu Linux.

I was watching a movie and using firefox when it simply shut down. And I don't mean went dead - it actually shut down quickly but gracefully. X clearly died first and then the rest of the OS went down, much faster than normal but not just a total power failure. When I turned it over it was very hot on the bottom, so I figure it overheated. It's never done it before but I haven't blown the dust out of it in a while.

Now it won't turn on, at all. The test button on the battery shows a full charge and the AC adapter light functions normally, but pressing the power button does nothing. It's had about 8 hours to cool now so I know it's not still hot. Any ideas? What should I check and how do I check it?

Thanks for your help,
    -Mark
  2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

3. emarkd

emarkd TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thank you! The very first step, dispersing internal voltage, got my laptop booting again, where I was immediately greeted by a message about shutting down due to high internal temperature. Time to clean out the laptop!

I'm a software guy, so hardware's not my strong point, but I never would've thought about there being an issue with built up internal voltage. Sure, I realize there's caps in there storing power, but enough to prevent booting? Strange to me but I'm glad it worked.

Thanks again!
  4. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

Thanks for the update :grinthumb
    That fix solves 50% of all laptop No Post faults I see ;)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.