TechSpot

Help for friends

By Chronus
Nov 6, 2006
  1. Hey I was wondering if you guys would mind me posting questions that my friends have here. My friends are from another forum community. I've told them that they can come here and post about the problems there having, but I don’t know if they will or not. Anyway until they diced to come here on there own, here’s their questions.

Thanks for the help, let me know if this is not appropriate.

2. smore9648

smore9648 TS Rookie Posts: 697

Three things are guaranteed in life.

1. Death:dead:

2. Taxes:hotouch:

3. Hard Drive failure ;)

Hard drives will die eventually but you can make the most of its time by taking care of it.

Always run defrag on a regular basis.

Run Anti Virus, Firewall and spyware/adware/malware type programs. (This only prevents your drive from having being manipulated/erased/infected)

Hard drives has moving parts aka Platters,Motors, Heads. The heads are the mechanisms that seek and access all your info, which are stored on the platters.

The heads sometimes stick or lock up causing the drive to malfunction.

The motor stops spinning eventually

3. Liquidlen

Liquidlen TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,094

You can also check to see if your new HDD supports Smartdrive. The application checks your Hdd and tells it's posible lifespan and can warn you if trouble is near. It may not be 100% foolproof, but it is better than nothing.
    More importantly, maintain a good Backup procedure!!!

4. smore9648

smore9648 TS Rookie Posts: 697

You can also save it by not loading Norton and IE:unch:

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.