Help identify reason for blue screen of death

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Dell Inspiron 530 which came with Vista, I did a clean install of Windows 7 and now, 3 or so weeks after the installation, I get the blue screen of death 3 or 4 times a week. I haven't seen any rhyme or reason for what causes it.

Can anyone help?

----------------------

Here is the information shown when it comes back up:
Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 4e
BCP1: 000000000000009A
BCP2: 000000000012F96B
BCP3: 0000000000000006
BCP4: 000000000000000B
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\121109-23665-01.dmp
C:\Users\steve\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-41449-0.sysdata.xml

I looked at the .dmp file, but it was not in a readable form. I've attached the xml file.

That 0x4E error is a very strong indicator of corrupted memory. Here is the definition:

0x0000004E: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
This indicates that the memory management Page File Number list is corrupted. Can be caused by corrupt physical RAM, or by drivers passing bad memory descriptor lists.

*** You need to run Memtest on your memory.

See the link below and follow the instructions. There is a newer version than what is listed but either one should work. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes; the more Passes after 7 so much the better. There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Also, with errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

Link: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

* Get back to us with the results.

P.S. The .dmp file needs a special program WinDebugger to read the file.

Do memtest. I have found that there are times when the Windows Memory Diagnostic test misses bad RAM (and sometimes vice-versa).

When you do Memtest I must emphasize again the need for a minimum of 7 Passes and the more beyond 7 the better.

Okay, check the BIOS read on what the voltage of your RAM is set and compare it to the manufacturer's specs. What does the BIOS show and what are your RAM specs for voltage?

I'm not sure I know what I'm looking for.... In the BIOS under System Info, I found this:

Memory Speed 800Mhz - but it is grayed out so I can't change anything.

In the Memtest screen I found:

Settings Ram: 399 Mhz (DDR798)

And I saw a reference to DDR2-400 Samsung M3

Does that tell you anything?

Interesting post dude....discussion are always helpful in one way or the other. Thanks for giving out information. It’s really nice and mean full.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back