Help installing Linux / dual boot

By DLambie
Feb 25, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I am trying to instaall Linux onto my one PC which has Windows Media Centre on it.

This machines Pentium 4, 2 GB RAM

every time I try to intall Linux Live

the screen loads I hit English then 2nd option "Install Linux - then freezes right away as in progress bar goes back and forth only a few time. then I get these wierd erros see attached.

I am told I can use VirtualBox but I have no idea how to run it - I set it up but that is about it.

Can anyone please help me please

David

Attached Files:

2. IO errors and squashFS errors. Which distro is this? I assume it's a livecd, is it Ubuntu or similar? This is a known problem with LiveCDs and is usually down to an incompatible optical drive/BIOS - there are some workarounds but it does not always work.

First ensure that you haven't got a defective disc and run the CD check from the boot splash screen. If the disc is defective try burning it again at a slower speed. If after trying the above, you're sure the disc is fine, see below:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SquashfsErrors
  3. DLambie

DLambie TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 99

Thank-you will give the squasherros a try, however i did install linux through VirtualBox
  4. DLambie

DLambie TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 99

Just wanted to let everyone know I fixed the prob - thnks
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.