TechSpot

Help - is it toast?

By Shaaz
Jan 12, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi All,
    I've had WD external hard drive for a few months now - details: connects via USB and has an external power source.
    I have another software key connected to the other usb - one day out of the blue - they both just stopped working :confused: okay...so I plugged the "key" into the back - nada, the "key" is very expensive very reliable - has worked for years. So I call suppport - they helped me to map it to the drive again. Smile - all's well with the world...

except: External Hard Drive isn't working!! its seen in that "safely remove hardware" icon thingy - It's seen in the disk manager see details:
    Disk manager:
    USB storage device, it's enabled and driver is USBSTOR.SYS
    Disk drives: it's there driver is disk.sys
    BUT
    it's NOT in disk management - there's no "partition" (right word?) for it.
    It's lighting up, it's running, just can't see it in disk management and not in My computer.

Please please please I DO NOT want to reformat - simply can't lose the pix and vids of kid's first steps...I mean he's running havoc all over the house now but nevertheless....and I do have work related things on there as I did get the external as a backup (obviously cd's would have been a better choice it appears)

Please any advice?

Thanx a mill
    Shaz
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.