Keyboard and mouse will not work after XP boots

Status
Not open for further replies.

sundoulos_

My power supply died one night and computer would not boot. Bought new PS and hooked it up. Computer boots fine, keyboard works to get me into setup & boot menus but keyboard and mouse do not work at all once XP boots. Safe mode has same results. Tried different keyboard and mouse and same result. Both keyboards and mice work fine on other computers (one XP SP2 and one Vista).

Have PC Tools Firewall and it shows internet activity OUT as maxed out while I am looking at my desktop. Unplugged router and need help. Computer worked fine prior to PS going dead. Very clean (2 mo. from clean boot/ wipe and very regular antivirus (AVG) and adaware scans as well as Spybot) as far as I know, but I cannot check without help.

Please help me get my computer working! Thanks!

The likely problem here is that your keyboard and mouse arent setup in BIOS. If your keyboard/mouse is USB or PS/2, you will need to tell BIOS.

When you boot your machine, keep pressing the 'delete' key. This will get you into BIOS setup. I dont know where u go from there off the top of my head, and i cant find out as i am at work now and on a work machine, but you want to find the menu that lets you specify which connection your Keyboard and Mouse uses. Just browse the different menus, I'm sure this will fix your problem.

Thanks! I will try right now!

I try constantly tapping [delete] key and XP still starts. Is there another key to get me to BIOS setup?

BTW, the BIOS screen came up when I changed my power supply because (The computer with the problem is a Sony Vaio) the PS I bought does not have a hardware monitor plug for the fan on PS. I had to set to [ignore] the PS fan status for the computer to boot - otherwise it thought the fan was dead and would do nothing but boot to BIOS setup screen. I did not change anything else. If this is the problem, I believe I can setup my mouse/keyboard in the BIOS (they are USB) as it was not that hard to find the fan submenu.

I just googled it. It is [F2]. Gonna try now

USB Controller, USB 2.0 Controller, and USB Legacy support are all enabled. Looked at all menus and submenus and a specific keyboard/mouse option is not available. Rebooted and no change. All is still frozen and inoperable.

Is this a possible worm/virus/hijack? Keyboard works fine until XP starts. Tried to boot "safe mode with command prompt" so that I could get to some files on my computer but the splash screen makes me choose between "chad" (me) or "administrator" to get to cmd. Cannot select anything. Mouse cursor is in middle of the screen and unmovable. Tap/Bang/Punch/Yell At keyboard produces the same result.

Thanks.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

When your psu died, it`s possible it`s corrupted your Windows installation.

Try doing a Windows repair as per this thread.

If that doesn`t help, then maybe you need to reformat and reinstall.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

All is lost...

Thank you Howard. I am following directions per link and will let you know how it pans out.

[EDIT :) ] Had a little problem getting RAID controller drivers (working computer did not have a fdd, could not get to device mngr on broken one, a fd version of drivers is mandatory...) on a F6 floppy (that is what intel calls it - I know diddley before this) that I found at the following link:

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/Product_Filter.asp?ProductID=1809

Installed an old fdd and made a F6 floppy and "Voila!" Windows Pro XP Setup is ticking along. At 41% right now. Hoping for the best....

[Edit] This is not going to be a clean install. Have had "dll ngen.exe entry point (?) error not found" appear repeatedly. Also usb is dead. Had to pull the plug to restart and hooked up keyboard PS2 (do not have a PS2 mouse and cannot find the 2 or 3 adapters I always find when I am looking for something else). I am hoping to get it to a state where I can at least retrieve my info and then do a factory fresh install with Vaio discs. Fingers still crossed and holding my breath.

:dead: On restart nothing. Repeats loop of very brief flash of Blue Death screen and then restart and then "We apologize for the inconvenience..."

I would like to know if there is ANY way I can get some stuff off these drives? I know how to do it via standard drives and cmd but do not know what to do with this situation. Windows is dead and I have two 250 GB SATA in RAID 0 configuration. Is there a way to hook these up to another computer to just retrieve the info? I was an ***** and did not have a backup. Thank you for your time.

I have no experience of sata drives, so can`t really advise you on that.

I suggest you open a new thread in our Storage and Networking forum and I`m sure someone will be able to advise you.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back