Help! Linksys WRT54G dropping wired? connection...

By chocobo10
Aug 10, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I just purchased the Linksys WRT54G to hook up wired to 2 computers running off of Comcast cable. Every few minutes the connection will drop on both machines. I have updated the firmware accordingly and it has not helped. A call to Linksys prompted me to clone the MAC address but that also did not help. I can either reset or turn off the router to get my connection back for several minutes, then, back to the problem. If I run the modem straight to either machine the connection is rock solid. And this is my second router as well... Someone please help me on this situation.
  2. korrupt

korrupt Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,060

Why do you need a router if it works fine without it?

Regards,

Korrupt
  3. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

I could be wrong but maybe he needs the router because he has two computers, no ?

I've recently downloaded & used the Linksys EasyLink advisor & it has helped me for a few problems, not sure if it would fix yours but it's worth a try.
  4. detrunks

detrunks TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 204

Could have used a hub instead of a router - much cheaper!
  5. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

That can only work if the broadband modem can also act as a router, otherwise it can't serve two computers.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.