Help Mapping A Network Drive In Windows XP Home Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

damienb

Hi all,
Just got a Lacie ethernet disk for xmas. I have been setting it up on my laptop which has XP Pro which all works fine. Its just connects directly to my Belkin router and has given itself an IP of 192.168.2.3. Ive mapped the drive into the "My Computer" area and can access all the data from there. The Network path I used which worked instantly was \\192.168.2.3\lacie_share.

Im having a nightmare doing the same thing on the desktop in the house which has XP Home. When I try to mapp the drive it just says network path was not found. I know I am entering the correct path as Ive already checked this over and over again because I just cant understand why it isn't working. The PC is connected to the router and I can ping the both the router and the ethernet disk. (Plus I wouldnt be able to access the internet if it wasn't which i can)

Is it not possible to mapp network drives on Home edition?? Then again, if it wasn't possible then why would the option even be there at all?? I must be missing something....Can anyone help me??

Kind regards
Damien

I am not sure, but maybe you need to have Windows XP Pro installed. As for why it's there if it doesn't work in home edition? That's Microsoft for ya. maybe they're trying to entice you to upgrade to Pro.

It can be done but just a word of advise, get WinXP Pro installed the home wasn't ment to be on a domain and as a workgroup still hit and miss. To make it work you need to find a freeware program to turn that WinHome into network box. X-Setup has a feature where you can setup:

Login ID: Jhon
Password: mickeymouse
Network Name: Bettyone

Doing it this way would cause the Home XP to auto login you onto your network, but I can tell you from experience just get the pro, this way is not to stable a network connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back