Help me build my budget gaming rig!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

I shall be building my first computer very soon. It will be used mostly for gaming and other minor tasks.

The problem is, I don't have very much money at the moment. I need to build this computer using a maximum of £300.

I would like the specs to be able to cope with Oblivion: The Elder Scrolls IV and Age of Empires 3.

I understand that building it from scratch will be marginally cheaper than buying a package comp.

If anyone knows of the components I need, please post and include details of manufacturer and retailer.

Thankyou,
DK444

If you want I can help you pick out parts, I don't know any good EU websites for buying computer parts, so I'll look around on google and see if there is a cheap website like Newegg in the US or TigerDirect in Canada :)

thanks TimeparadoX,

If you just tell me what coponents i need, bearing in my my budget, then let me know what they are, im sure ill be able to find them. :)

I just dont know what will actually be effective in my computer. I need a Half-decent Processor, good video card, and a bit of ram, and i think ill be fine.

Thanks,
DK444

How much exactly is £300 in USD? That would make it alot easier for me to help you :)

For now, you could look around for the essential parts... here is a list of what you'd need for a computer:

Powersupply Unit ( PSU used to power the whole computer, more high level stuff = more wattage you need ):

Central Processing Unit ( CPU a very important part of the computer, it's basically the brain of it all ):

Videocard ( Self explanatory :D ):

RAM ( a decent ammount would be atleast 1gig of RAM, make sure it's DDR2 ):

Motherboard ( Aka. Mobo, used to hold all the parts like videocard and processor ):

Thermapaste ( Artic Silver 5 is the best, Thermapaste is used for keeping the processor cool and to hold the Heatsink ):

Hard Drive ( Aka. HDD ):

DVD Drive ( Used for CDs and stuff ):

Floppy Drive ( This is optional since most programs these days don't need a floppy drive, but it's always good to have them plus they are only $5 USD ):

CPU Heatsink ( A big "Cooler" to put on the processor to keep it from overheated, this is the most important part because it keeps your computer from messing up ):

The Computer's Case ( Depending on your motherboard you choose, there is different types like BATX - Baby ATX, MATX - Mini ATX, ATX - Normal size, normal ATX is the most popular, make sure to post which mobo / case you pick out so I can check to see if they will work together :D ):

I'll look at the website Mailpup said and check around, Im use to Newegg / TigerDirect because it's USD and most people I help with this stuff are from US or Canada ;)

-TPX

Sorry if this looks confusing, I tried to explain what each part does in the parentheses so you could get a idea of what each part of the computer does :D

Also sorry if I have bad english, it's not my main language so it's abit rusty :haha:

300 British pounds = 599.85 U.S. dollars

Google has a handy conversion feature. I typed in "300 British pounds =" and it gives 599.85 U.S. dollars.

oh thanks Mailpup :D

I was looking for a converter on google but I didn't know what to search :haha:

So $600 is a good budget, i'll look at that website you linked :)

CPU
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Socket AM2 (2.2GHz) L2 1MB (2x512KB) Retail Boxed Processor - £46.51 inc VAT

Motherboard

MSI K9N6SGM-V GeForce 6100 Socket AM2 onboard VGA and 8-channel audio mATX
- £25.91 inc VAT

RAM
Corsair 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 675MHz/PC2-5400 XMS Memory Non-ECC Unbuffered CL4(4-4-4-12) Heat Spreader Lifetime Warranty - £54.99 inc VAT

Video Card
XFX 7900GS XXX 256MB GDDR3 256bit DVI HDTV out PCI-E Graphics Card - £68.75 inc VAT

PSU
Antec Basiq Power 500W ATX 12V PSU - £34.63 inc VAT

DVD Burner
LiteOn DH-20A3P-12C 20X DVD±RW/DL/RAM Black Bare Drive - OEM - £16.60 inc VAT

Hard Disk Drive
Maxtor STM3250310AS 250GB SATAII 8MB Cache - OEM - £33.99 inc VAT

Grand Total = £281.38 and that leaves you with enough money to buy a suitable case for it all. Just make sure it's not an mATX one. All parts are of excellent quality and compatible with each other. The PC will give you excellent performance on almost any game, including Oblivion and AoE 3. Good luck and let us know if you have any questions. :)

Thanks Rage :D

My internet went offline for like 2 weeks because my mom went to Austin and I didn't want to call Linksys myself, so I waited until she got back :haha:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back