Help needed prcessor upgrade!

Status
Not open for further replies.
STILL NEED HELP !processor upgrade!

Hi guys,

I'll try and give as much info as possible, but as you'll soon realise im a bit of a novice!

Anyways, I have just replaced my amd athlon 2400+ with a amd sempron 3000(barton core i believe if it makes a difference)

now i believe the 2400 had a fsb of 266 (133 in bios) however the 3000 has a fsb of 333. however the option in the bios to change from 133 to 166(333) is greyed out. any ideas?

My motherboard is a Time K7M-400 Motherboard which i believe has a VIA chipset?

BIOS: Phoenix technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 07/08/2003

memory = 512MBDDR PC3500 256MBDDR PC2100

Windows xp home edition Service Pack 2

because i cannot change the fsb the processor is only running at 1.6ghz

I have tried without the PC2100 in and it makes no difference
any ideas guys?

thanks

Jim

Similar Problem

Hi jimfire, I recently went to a 3200+ from a sempron 2800+. My motherboard is an Asus KM400 based on the same VIA chipset.

To change the FSB I had to open the tower and in one corner of the mother board is a series of DIP switches. Check your manual for the correct sequence of ON/OFF to get your desired speed and you will be able to run at the right FSB.

The mobo won't ID your chip at 3000 until the FSB sequence is okay.

i have the case apart, but there are no DIP switches on the board at all that i can see? And i havent got the manual, it was a TIME computer, i think im lucky to have a PSU in it lol! So annoying seems like it should be so simple to sort......

silly question guys, as i've never flashed Bios before, are all the settings in there auto set, or should i make a note of how they are set now?

right, i downloading the flash and .bin put them on a floppy, created a dos boot disk, and proceded.

got to the A;\ typed FLASH833.EXE

things get started

asks for the program name type VRC43_C542.BIN (tried without the extension also)

asks whether i want to save bios ( im guessing this meant backup current) tried YES after it finished it said SOURCE FILE NOT FOUND,

so i tried all the above again however typed NO to saving the bios, again SOURCE NOT FOUND

anyone help? think i may practise shot putt with my machine!

ftp.fic.com.tw/motherboard/manual/socketa/am39l

Check this manual link out it may be close enough from FIC for a match to yours.

Page 13 of 55 of the PDF shows how to change FSB jumper and where it is located on mobo. Good luck.

my gosh Micky thats sorted it!!!! you are an absolute legend!!

thanks all the guys that have replied really appreiciate the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back