Help: New Video Card--Unusable!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright well hey guys,

I am no good with computers all i know is how to play games. Anyways i am running on a really junky computer but it's all good to me..

Emachines-T2892 Model Number.. It has a Athlon XP.. 2 gb DDR Ram.. 160mb Harddrive.. So as you can see NOTHING SPECIAL.

What i bought- I bought Battlefield 2 and my standard video card being as cheap and messed up as it is did not meet the requirements for Battlefield 2. Well i took the cheap way out of this and bought a crap 130$ ATI Radeon 9250, 128mb DDR ram acceleration, etc etc.. Well i got that now i bring it home and heres my problem..

Problem- In most PC's you have to remove a video card to put in a new one in the same spot. Well this time i just popped the new video card into the slot it needed (The PCI Slot).. Well thats the right slot but my problem is: On the back of the video card it has a spot for my Monitor to plug into. Well this is obviously not the original spot for my monitor so i put the monitor into the back of the video card. I turn my PC on and it starts up correctly.. and then as soon as it gets to the User name and Password screen the screen goes blank. Well i plug the monitor into the original place it was supposed to be and everything is fine only my new video card isn't working from me doing this.. I still can't play Battlefield 2. Well come to find out (DUH!!) my computer has a "Internal Graphics Card" that came standard with my system. How do i get to "Bio's" or whatever to Disable the "Internal Graphics Card" and my main question is....

Main Question- How do i do this correctly without messing up my computer and having to bring it into Best Buy/Geeksquad and paying 40$ to get it fixxed?

Thank you! :)

you need to disable your onboard graphics card, thus makign the add-in card your primary video adapter. you can try doing this in the bios, but other emachiens owners have reported the absence of any such option. in that case, you need to select the built in vga adapter from device manager and desable it. upon reboot, your primary and only video card will be the radeon 9250. that said, i doubt said card would run BF2 well, especially if you've got it in a pci slot.

[If you are using windows]

The other thing you could try is to start up your pc like normal and go to the Display Settings panel (right-click the desktop and select Properties) and under the Settings tab there will be a drop-down box about half way down, that you should be able to change to your other card. Then click on "Use this device as the primary monitor" (might need to click on the one under that first), and hit Apply.

This will change the Windows display to go to your other card so if your desktop disappears you will need to plug in your monitor to the other card and it should be there.

You could also remove the onboard video... but if the above works,then there is no need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back