help no signal conencting to wireless router

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitch04

hi not sure if this is where i put it but im despritly needing help i have a laptop toshiba and the wireless network inbuilt for some reason just stop detecting my wireless router so i tried another laptop and it does so its not the wireless router. So first of all i tried updating the driver(INTEL pro/wireless 2915ABG) didnt work try reinstalling the router didnt work and other ways i could make it would i really need it for uni so this is pritty despirte. i tried anotehr wireless router still didnt detect it i was really close to it. So i hope its not stuf my thing so please anything else would really be aprechiated pleaSE!
thanks
i need replys asap please
not sure i accidently posted 2 threads of this because i am desprite so if you want me to delelete i will do it straight away thanks im just really despirte

There are so many things that could have gone wrong with the unit that it is hard to give an easy diagnosis. It could be an infestation... a firewall change, a driver failure.
First thing I would do is totally remove the current wireless software, then remove all vestiges with RegClean or other registry software.
Then reboot, and install ALL the updates that Microsoft offers in Microsoft Updates or Windows Updates.
Then reboot, and use your wireless disc to reinstall the wireless software.... and the firmware downloads from the website.... reading everything you can find on the software for the version of devices you are installing.

hi what do u mean by remove all vestiges with RegClean or other registry software. i have done a defragment. and everything
thank you so much

Using the free RegClean or some other registry editing software, you want to remove anything from the registry that was put there by the other installs of the wireless... as their existence sometimes prevents a clean install when you do it over. Not a major issue here. You can find a variety of free registry editors at www.majorgeeks.com. We like the free one created by Juono Vuorio that has JV16 as part of the title or description. Easy. Simple. You don't want to use a powerhouse registry editor.

mitch04 said:
hi not sure if this is where i put it but im despritly needing help i have a laptop toshiba and the wireless network inbuilt for some reason just stop detecting my wireless router so i tried another laptop and it does so its not the wireless router. So first of all i tried updating the driver(INTEL pro/wireless 2915ABG) didnt work try reinstalling the router didnt work and other ways i could make it would i really need it for uni so this is pritty despirte. i tried anotehr wireless router still didnt detect it i was really close to it. So i hope its not stuf my thing so please anything else would really be aprechiated pleaSE!
thanks
not sure i accidently posted 2 threads of this because i am desprite so if you want me to delelete i will do it straight away thanks im just really despirte

Mitch,

Based on what you wrote, my reaction is the wireless card is toast! Try replacing it with a new one and see if it works.

Things to try...

mitch04 said:
thanks

Check to see if the Wireless Onboard NIC is enabled in the BIOS.
Where did you get the drivers for INTEL/PRO Wireless?
Toshiba or INTEL?

The correct way a tech would try to fix the problem would be.
1. Remove the Wireless Drivers from Windows OS
2. Make sure Wireless NIC onboard is enabled
3. Make sure Wired NIC is onboard is enabled
4. Connect patch cord ethernet cable to the wired LAN port of your laptop
5. Connect the other end of the patch cord to your wireless router port 1/4
6. Reboot the laptop and you should get a connection for the wired LAN
7. Download and install your correct drivers for the wireless LAN

Trouble shooting
1. Does the wireless LAN appear in network connections?
2. Did the DHCP from the router assign the IP address?

If okay to 1 but not okay to 2 then use static IP address for the wireless NIC
If that still doesn't work then it could be something wrong with the communcation with wireless NIC and OS. At times the OS wireless features do get corrupted. The only way to fix such of a problem is to well it has been mentioned above fix the registry. If that doesn't work then the OS would have to be re-installled.

3. Try to use PCMICA Card Bus Wireless Card instead. 125Mbps High Speed High Power Super G or better. If such a card was installed into the PCMICA slot on the side of your Laptop and it had worked, then you would know that the Onboard NIC was faulty. Best bet to do with such findings would be to disable the onboad NIC and have the laptop MOBO replaced or if the NIC was miniPCI card (looks like white plastic over the same size of RAM) this can be replace by the user, only if there was a opening slot of the bottom of the laptop. (DELL and some IBM) have this.

Try the above and good luck, when it comes to wireless it could be anything.

check your device manager; make sure there's no yellow or red flags on the device.

Toshiba? there's a slide switch on the right side of the case just under the
earphone jack;
make sure it's in the ON position and there's a light that turns on with it.

You can also use the Configfree tool to test connectivity. What does it report?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back