TechSpot

Help PC OVERHEATING!?!

By akaivan
Jun 13, 2007
  1. beef_jerky4104

beef_jerky4104 Banned Posts: 822

I have a Biostar board similar to your's. It also says 127C on some of the sensors. I thought that they maight have been corrupt but I guess Speed Fan just has an issue with them.

I would say its safe to use if mine does the same thing and it runs Oblivion on Ultra High.

2. akaivan

akaivan TS Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 470

ahh thats good to know! thanks alot

3. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

If those temps were correct something would`ve fried long before now.

You could try the free Everest programme and see how it compares to Speedfan.

Regards Howard :)

4. MetalX

MetalX TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,388

Looking at the 1,350,000RPM fan speed should tell you that speedfan is a horribly poor quality program ;) And it reports my CPU as 2,729,544,000C... Obviously something is wrong when a program reports my CPU as nearly 3 billion degrees Celsius :)

5. red-vex

red-vex TS Rookie

either your processor/northbridge is the sun or you better use another program. (i use nxsensor, google it)

6. MetalX

Like I said, it reports terribly ;) Nearly 3 billion degrees for my CPU, and my friends "Temp 1" is - 296C which is lower than absolute zero.

7. akaivan

hahah yea ok... speedfan say hello to the recycle bin! im going to try everest right now! :D thanks guys

Ok, I took a screenshot with everest... BTW an awesome program Howard :D. Are these healthy Temps? what about the motherboard? Im ordering some fans soon lol

http://img156.imageshack.us/my.php?image=neoshooter2ed9.png

8. Ph30nIX

Ph30nIX TS Rookie Posts: 243

hmm 85C mobo and only 13C Cpu, i'd say your sensor isnt giving correct readings.

9. akaivan

hmm how can i tell ? lol.. maybe its rightttttttttttttt

10. MetalX

Yea, you have some really messed up temp readings. You should do what Intel recommends you do, and cut a small gouge in the heat spreader on the CPU, and insert a thermal probe thingy. Then you can find the real temperature of your CPU ;)

11. howard_hopkinso

Go into your bios and see what temps are reported there.

I agree Ph30nIX, it sounds like a dodgy sensor.

12. akaivan

Ok, i looked in the bios and the CPU temp was 40C ..... maybe its taking 25c from the cpu and putting it on the mobo? xD

13. howard_hopkinso

In that case, it sounds as if your sensor is not compatible with the programmes your using, or it`s faulty. In either case, I don`t think it`s anything to worry about. If you really had a temp problem, your system would be very unstable.

14. akaivan

ok alrite... thanks.. any ways ill add some fans here just so i dont have anything to worry about ;D ...

by the way. In bios it says Overheat Shuttdown temp... and its disabled... maybe i should enable it?

15. howard_hopkinso

Yes, by all means enable it.

16. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 3,481   +44

lol, MetalX has a nuclear reactor for a cpu obviously.

17. MetalX

Yup :D Even with the most advanced cooling system ever made, that takes 45,000 Gigawatts to run, the plasma in the Mighty Entry-Level Single Core Athlon 64 remains at nearly 3 billion degrees ;)

18. akaivan

Well what temperature should i set it at? its not automatic lol. I have to put in my own temp ... :0

19. howard_hopkinso

I`d say set it at around 55°C to 60°C should be about right. You could set it less than that, but your system might shut down at inopportune moments.

20. akaivan

okie dokie! will do it now :D thanks guys!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.