Help picking out some components

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am planning to build my own gaming computer.
I already have a old Hp PAvillion computer which I am planning to use some of its components, HD, Video Card( Gforce 4 Ti4200 128 Mb, Removable Storage a.k.a CD-RW drive/DVD driver. I might use the power supply depending how much it sucks, and I've got an Extigy sound card laying around that I would use. My Budget is Limited 300-400. Though I do not want a high end pc something that would let me play most First Person Shooter Games at decent quality settings. Looking for 70-80 fps if any of you are hard core gamers here. Like I said I do not need a High-end puter just average gaming computer that'd last me for 2-3 years.

Though I need all the other components
Mobo, Processor(AMD), Memory, Case, Cooling ( would the old puter's cooling work?, Power Supply.

I am not a newb when it comes to computers, I am majoring in computer science though I've never built my own computer so I am not that familiar with bios, setting memory, configuring mobos etc. so the more user friendly the better

Thanks in Advanced,
Carlos

hi

If you are going AMD, I suggest Athlon 3700+ or better. Heres a link with a list of mobos that support AMD and are good for cooling.

http://www2.amd.com/us-en/recmobo/ResultsHandler/1,,30_2252_869_9460^9461~73649,00.html

You can chose a faster one but for the money you want to spend I don't know how much it's going to be. For RAM i would think 1 gig is ok. Some people have up to 3 but it depends on how much RAM you are using now and how much the game requires. 2 gigs would be better of course but again the money comes into play. If your power supply is under 450 watts or is old I suggest buying a new one built into the case you are going to get. Get one with 450 watts or better. A new one should last you 2-3 years no prob. Heres a link to a site with a lot of computer cases(some pretty nice ones)

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...lc.asp?CatId=32&SRCCODE=MSNSEARCH&CMP=OTC-MSN

For the memory you will have to get whatever your mobo supports like pc 2700 or 3200 ddr sdram. Etc.

For cooling I would put thermal grease on the cpu, and probably 2-3 fans installed inside the case.(fans are cheap and easy to install!)

Putting the pc together is pretty straight forward. You have to make sure you set the jumper right for the hd and all that good stuff.

Ok man hope that helps. Good luck!

I just built my first pc and I am very pleased. It runs like a champ! :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back