[HELP] RAM conflict?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently I have bought a new RAM(512MB PC3200).

When I insert both new RAM and old RAM(256MB DDR333) together, my computer will restart automatically when I executing programs. After the computer is restarted I will get a message from the Windows said: Critical Error!!

Sometimes there is a message as I write below appeared before my computer restart:
[Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the disable the driver or check with manufacturer for driver updates. Try change video adapters.
Check with our hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Option and then select Safe Mode]

What did the message actually means? What should I do to fix this problem? What is happening to my computer?

Please help me!

Thanks!

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I take it your computer is fine with just one stick of ram, no matter which stick is in use?

Obviously, there is a difference in speed, as well as in the size of your ram sticks. It`s never a good idea to mix different speeds/sizes.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

I had a bad stick of RAM and that made the computer restart all the time as well, no matter what other stick it was running with, so i would say you just have a faulty stick of RAM. Try running memtest86 on the new one and let it run for at least 4 passes. download memtest from here

If the RAM is usin seperately it has no problem.
If it is mix, the computer will always restarted. That's mean i need to make sure both RAM are same speed to avoid the computer from keep resartin?

By the way, if i reformat the computer, will it fixed? i mean the problem.

I don`t think reformatting the computer will help.

Check with your mobo manual for supported speeds/sizes/makes of ram.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back