Help! STOP:c000021a Fatal system error....status 0xc0000006

By shazbel
Nov 12, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi, Need help with this error message. Blue screen appears on start up:

STOP:c000021a Fatal system error The windows logon process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status 0xc0000006
    (oxoooooooo oxoooooooo)
    The system has been shut down

Tried booting from last known good configuration, safe mode but still get the same message. Searched the internet but no luck with the status code. Am running XP home.

Thanks
  2. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 12,109   +21

Do you have GoBack on your computer? It's a utility used by Norton to create and manage backups on the fly, ie in the background.

The C021a Stop Error can sometimes be caused by GoBack.

Have a look at this Microsoft KB article;
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316503&sd=RMVP
  3. shazbel

shazbel Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

No, I dont have goback.
  4. Route44

But do you have Norton?
  5. shazbel

No, I dont use Norton
  6. Route44

Here is one person's discovery:

Hotfix number 890859 is the culprit. Another tech in Microsoft's own newsgroup has documented it as well. But I can't find any evidence that Microsoft itself has acknowledged it. The easier solution than my method of reinstalling is outlined here.

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/spuninst.htm

So put out the word - turn off Automatic Updates, install updates manually and do not install # 890859. You may need to check the "hide this update" box so it doesn't get included again in future update cycles.

Also, you could load your install disk and do a repair. On further investigation it appears many people have had this error.
  7. shazbel

Thanks for your reply, Im currently running a repair on it now. Fingers crossed.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.