Help upgrading my computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,
This is my first post on this forum so please be gentle. I am looking at upgrading my computer and need some advice. I think my graphics card is the main problem as i play quite alot of games but not to sure about the other things like my cpu, RAM and motherboard etc. If i was to go out a buy some bits on my own it would be all wrong and wouldn't work on this computer so i thought i would ask you guys first. My computer specs are as follows:

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name TONY
User Name Tony Martin

Motherboard:
CPU Type AMD Athlon XP, 2200 MHz (11 x 200) 3200+
Motherboard Name ASRock K7Upgrade-600 (4 PCI, 2 AGP, 1 K8 Bridge Port, 2 DDR DIMM, Audio, LAN)
Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8377 Apollo KT600
System Memory 1024 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type AMI (11/02/04)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 6600 (128 MB)
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce 6600 AGP
Monitor Plug and Play Monitor [NoDB] (FFXJ320036826)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller

Storage:
IDE Controller VIA Bus Master IDE Controller
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive ST3200822A (200 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)
Optical Drive _NEC DVD_RW ND-3500AG (DVD+R9:4x, DVD+RW:16x/4x, DVD-RW:16x/4x, DVD-ROM:16x, CD:48x/24x/48x DVD+RW/DVD-RW)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 190771 MB (137445 MB free)

Input:
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse PS/2 Compatible Mouse
Game Controller Microsoft PC-joystick driver

Network:
Network Adapter Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC (192.168.1.65)
Network Adapter VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter

Peripherals:
Printer hp psc 2100 series
Printer Lexmark 730 Series
USB1 Controller VIA VT83C572 PCI-USB Controller
USB2 Controller VIA USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller
USB Device USB Human Interface Device

If anyone could advise me on what would improve my computer i would be greatfull.

Many thanks in advance.

But if I read his specs correctly his motherboard doesn't have PCI-Express.

I would honestly consider saving up and building a new one and keep your old one. AGP is basically dead but if I remember correctly ATI did release their 3850's in an AGP model. Check out NewEgg to see if this still avaliable. (It always helps to have two computers anyway)

Again, I would build new and not pour any more money into what you have.

Ok, thanks for your comments. I had a feeling my computer was rubbish and i would have to build a new one. Can you give me any advice or websites on building a new computer as i have never attempted it before and what kind of bits would make a good gaming machine? I don't know a great deal about computers but roughly know what makes them tick and with your help im sure i can manage to put one together (i hope).

The first important question to ask is: What is your budget?

The second is: What do you want your new PC to do?

The third is: Do you know of someone who has built his own and can help you put one together? This is how I learned until I was able to do it myself.

* I and others here can definitely help you pick out quality parts.

* Also, your PC is still solid. i wouldn't call it rubbish at all; its just old. Seriously, keep it. A back-up PC is always nice to have.

The first important question to ask is: What is your budget?
Around 500 - 600 UK Pounds (Maybe more if the need arises)

The second is: What do you want your new PC to do?
Mainly a games machine

The third is: Do you know of someone who has built his own and can help you put one together? This is how I learned until I was able to do it myself.
No (This could be a problem)

* I and others here can definitely help you pick out quality parts.

* Also, your PC is still solid. i wouldn't call it rubbish at all; its just old. Seriously, keep it. A back-up PC is always nice to have.

If you haven't built a PC, don't fret. You can either learn to do it yourself via some excellent tutorials available online, or you could go to a small hardware store and have them do it for you for a small fee. Anyways, I recommend this setup for your budget:

Grand Total = £518.15, which leaves enough for a suitable case of your choice. All parts, except the HDD, come with free delivery and will work together without any problems. The PC they will build will be pretty powerful and will serve you well.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. :)

Rage picked out a very nice option, it is within your budget, and you'll be able to upgrade in the future if need be. That video card will enable you to do serious gaming.

This is an excellent answer to your need.

Thank you all very much for your advice. I think i will attempt to make it myself after ive read some tutorials and ill let you know how i get on. No doubt ill be back asking for advice quite soon :haha:

Many thanks again.

Here is a really important tip: When handling your motherboard make sure there is NO static electricty in you. One spark can fry a motherboard -- I'm not kidding. The wise thing to do is discharge by either touching your case or your PSU. You can even get wrist bands designed to keep you grounded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back