TechSpot

Help Upgrading Old Compaq Presario 4551

By VinceIP
Apr 8, 2007
  1. Back in '98 or '99 for Christmas I got a shiny new Compaq Presario 4551. I guess it was pretty decent for light gaming back then, but I'm long overdue for an upgrade.

It came with an AMD K6-2 454 mhz processor. It has, onboard, 8 MB of video RAM, and an SiS video chipset, which is my PC's most major drawback. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is either going to make me have to replace the whole motherboard just to get a new video card, or force me into some really tricky situation involving adding another more modern video card.

I have 3 sticks of RAM right now totalling 256 MB, and 2 hard drives: a 20 GB Quantam Fireball IDE, and a 160 GB Western Digital SATA attatched to a PCI controller. The only other upgrades I've made is a new monitor and a DVD burner which failed after 2 weeks with very light use.

Here is a detailed list of my PC's specs.

I can't play any modern PC games, and I'm stuck in the Pentium II era. I'm able to run things like Half-Life 1, the original Unreal Tournament (with medium detail settings in 320x240 resolution), Metal Gear Solid, Quake II, and SimCity 3000. A few things I've tried to play and can't without horrible slowness are Starsiege: Tribes, System Shock 2, The Sims, and generally any game that isn't made to run in 320x240.

I definitely want to upgrade my processor and video card more than anything. I'm pretty much happy with the rest of my system. I have no idea where to start though, and if I ever buy any new hardware, I'm doubtful that I'll be able to install it on my own.

Basically, to start with, I need some reccommendations that would work with my system and allow me to play more modern games cheaply. The link I gave earlier has information on my motherboad. I don't know how to tell what's combatiable with it or not. I'd really, really appreciate any help I can get. Thanks.

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,987   +168

You would be better off building a whole new system or buying a new system outright. Your money would be better spent, and you would be much happier in the long run

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.