Help with a new hard drive

By pcer/harleytec
Dec 11, 2005
  1. I have a conpaq with AMD Athlon XP Processor (1.53GHZ)
    512MB PC2100ddr Total Memory System
    60GB Ultra DMA HARD Drive

My pc has been freezing up a lot lately and I am tired of erasing all the memory, so I bought a Maxtor Diamond Max 10, 200 gb PATA133 HDD Hard Drive. After reading my instructions I found out I need an Ultra ATA/133PCI card. Is there anything else I need here? I woud greatly appreciate any help I can get.
  2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

You do not need an ATA PCI card. The controller is already built into your system's motherboard.

Are you sure you know what you are doing?
  3. pcer/harleytec

pcer/harleytec TS Rookie Topic Starter

reply from harleytec

I have only been into pc's since 2002 when I bought this one. I also have a Dell laptop and I changed the hard drive in it from 40gb 5400rpm to 80gb w/7200 rpm with no problem. I'm just going by what the damn instruction booklet says. It is telling me that when going to a larger hd than 137gb that the card must be changed in order to not lose data. I can fix a harley though....very well. i'm a certified tech. Take care
  4. patio

patio TS Maniac Posts: 482

If you are running XP with SP2 just use the utilities that shipped with the drive, MaxBlast i believe. This will allow your system to see/use the entire 200G. and you have the option of cloning the old HDD right to the new one.

patio. :cool:
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.