TechSpot

Help with copying files from old drive to new drive.

By Juanra
Nov 25, 2007
  1. I have a 40gb ide hard drive and I'm thinking of buying an 80Gb drive. Is there a way to copy the things from the 40gb to the 80gb and set the 80gb as master and the 40 as slave?

2. mscrx

mscrx TS Rookie Posts: 829

does the old drive contain data only or is the operating system installed to it?
    you could put both drives in you pc and either copy the data to the new drive or use an imaging program, such as driveimage or ghost, and make an image of your system drive. then apply the image to your new drive and everything will be as before, just more disk space. be aware that you need a place to store the image at. can be a usb hdd...

hope this helps you
    mscrx

3. Char_X

Char_X TS Rookie Posts: 209

you can back up all data from one drive and restore it to another drive with Acronis True Image.

4. mscrx

mscrx TS Rookie Posts: 829

yes, great tool but around $50 per license :-(
    btw, are there any good imaging tools out as freeware?

5. Juanra

Juanra TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 24

I found a couple solutions: HDClone and DriveImageXML. Any opinions?

6. PBNinja101

PBNinja101 TS Rookie Posts: 72

i've got a Hardware HD Cloner - will copy everything, partitions...everything. Costs are steep but worth it if you clone regulary.

Simon

7. PBNinja101

PBNinja101 TS Rookie Posts: 72

Btw, forgot to add:

HDClone is also a very good bootable HDCloner that does the job perfectly - copies files and the MBR.

Simon

8. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,582

do search here been ask a thousand times
    seagate disk wizard free will make drive bootable
    on first boot of cloned drive make sure the original is out then install and erase OS
    you can have corruption errors if you leave this on the slave(old )drive
    and boot conflicts

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.