help with installing new video card

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased a x1950pro video card by ATI.

I've already installed the new power supply I got.....after I read that I would need a higher powered one. It's a Thermaltake 500W.

I have a presario sr1703wm.

The info from CPU-Z if needed is as follows:
Mainboard: Manufacturer ASUSTek Computer Inc.
Model Amberine M 1.03
Chipset ATI Xpress 200 (RS4080) rev. 10
Memory DDR 1280 MBytes (how do I test memory to see if both new sticks I bought are working?)

CPU Processor AMD Sempron 3200+

I'm pretty sure I don't need to worry about overclocking. Never heard of it....just getting into some games.....mostly family type.

The direction for installing the new video card say to remove the old drivers. The video is part of the motherboard and I don't know how to go about removing the drivers. I can follow directions quite easily but consider myself a novice/beginner in working with these things.

I don't want to install this without removing the old drivers if it's going to cause a lot of problems. I need to get it up and running to be able to send in for my rebate.

Any experts out there with advice on what to do?

Thanks,
Ann

Its really easy to uninstall onboard video drivers but I'll leave the directions for someone more advanced. Nice Vid card by the way :). For the memory, Memtest is what everyone uses to test there memory. I would def try it. Memtest86+ from www.memtest.org Let it run for at least seven passes. If you don`t have a floppy drive there is an iso version that you can burn to cd and boot from that.

ann2 said:
I just purchased a x1950pro video card by ATI.

I've already installed the new power supply I got.....after I read that I would need a higher powered one. It's a Thermaltake 500W.

I have a presario sr1703wm.

The info from CPU-Z if needed is as follows:
Mainboard: Manufacturer ASUSTek Computer Inc.
Model Amberine M 1.03
Chipset ATI Xpress 200 (RS4080) rev. 10
Memory DDR 1280 MBytes (how do I test memory to see if both new sticks I bought are working?)

CPU Processor AMD Sempron 3200+

I'm pretty sure I don't need to worry about overclocking. Never heard of it....just getting into some games.....mostly family type.

The direction for installing the new video card say to remove the old drivers. The video is part of the motherboard and I don't know how to go about removing the drivers. I can follow directions quite easily but consider myself a novice/beginner in working with these things.

I don't want to install this without removing the old drivers if it's going to cause a lot of problems. I need to get it up and running to be able to send in for my rebate.

Any experts out there with advice on what to do?

Thanks,
Ann

as far as uninstalling the drivers for the onboard video or phisical card, go to the control panel, then the add and remove programs, see if it is not listed in there and if it is u have to click it to highlight there will be an uninstall icon to the right which which will uninstall it.

Thanks eijmaster. :)

That guide helped fill in the missing pieces.

I didn't disable the old display drivers but it didn't try to load them with the new video card in place. I did remove them though.

The old display was ATI so I was hoping I wouldn't have any problems.

Thanks for all the replies.

No prob . If you have any further probs, as always, try using google first. Using the right key words makes a world of difference when searching. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back