Help with mysterious ram issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey everyone..i just recieved 2 kingston (kvr133x64c3/256) sticks. im upgrading from 2 128mb pc100 ram modules, to 512mb pc133 kingston modules. ive checked the FSB of my computer and its 133mhz compliant. im having a problem installing the ram. when i install both of the rams and enter bios, its only reading 32mb on each stick of ram. not only that but my computer keeps rebooting itself over and over again. it wont even boot into windows. ive tried every combination of putting the ram into the slots but to no avail. i already have one 128mb kingston module installed. so im not leaning yet to a compatibility issue. i was thinking of maybe flashing my bios to. will this help any? help would be great

heres my computer specs (not the greatest)
Computer
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2

Motherboard
CPU Type Intel Pentium IIIE, 866 MHz (6.5 x 133)
Motherboard Name Intel Cayman CA810 (4 PCI, 2 DIMM, Audio, Video)
Motherboard Chipset Intel Whitney i810E
System Memory 256 MB (SDRAM)
BIOS Type AMI (09/05/01)

Display
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (128 MB)
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
Monitor Plug and Play Monitor [NoDB] (11438069)

I agree with zephead, u can change the timings in bios advanced settings. between try lowering the bus speed to 100 MHZ also this might help

because my computer is a dell dimension l866r when i enter bios there is nothing anywere that says advanced bios settings. is there a windows program that i could use to change my fsb speed to 100mhz?

this is weird. i dont know why it would be compatibilty problem because im using the same brand ram i have in my computer already only thing is im upgrading from 128mb pc100 kingston valueram to 256mb pc133 kingston valueram..only thing that differs is the pc133...my computer is backwards compatible with pc100 and pc133..it has no trouble using the 2 128mb pc100's..is it not setting the frequency right when i install the new ram???

one other thing..when i install the 2 new rams into my pc..the motherboard beeps twice..i looked this up and im guessing it must be a memory parity error.

if a ram configuration doesn't work, don't use it. don't mix wingle and dual sided sticks.

Does your mobo have capacity for 512mb of RAM? The pc133 thing shouldn't be a problem if you know your system is capable of handling it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back