Help with overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, im an OC noob but I consider myself rather intelegent. Im pretty familiar with software and such but ive run into a dead-end trying to overclock my system. Google just confused me. I have a Dell Deminsion 4600 P4(Prescot) 2.8g on a Intel i865P/PE/G/i848P rev. A2 board. I've read about shorting pins(nuh-uh), disconecting and re-connecting different caches(not for a noob like me) increasing my multi.. I've found that Dell isn't to keen on that kinda stuff and locked my stuff down good. I've been dabling with CPUCool, It dont have my board set and the Pll type just through me off all together. But ive been seeing on google that people have infact overclocked this considerably but could be spoofs and like I said im a noob at this so I dont know fact from fiction on this. Below is a more detailed list of my system, If someone could please point me in the right direction with cpucool or any other way other then serious mod as you guys call it, I would greatly appriciate the knowledge. Teach a man to fish etc.....

Cheers

Processors Information
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Processor 1 (ID = 0)
Number of cores 1 (max 1)
Number of threads 1 (max 1)
Name Intel Pentium 4
Codename Prescott
Specification Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
Package Socket 478 mPGA (platform ID = 2h)
CPUID F.3.4
Extended CPUID F.3
Core Stepping D0
Technology 90 nm
Core Speed 2793.1 MHz (21.0 x 133.0 MHz)
Rated Bus speed 532.0 MHz
Stock frequency 2800 MHz
Instructions sets MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3
L1 Data cache 16 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
Trace cache 12 Kuops, 8-way set associative
L2 cache 1024 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
FID/VID Control no

Chipset
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Northbridge Intel i865P/PE/G/i848P rev. A2
Southbridge Intel 82801EB (ICH5) rev. 02
Graphic Interface AGP
AGP Revision 3.0
AGP Transfer Rate 8x
AGP SBA supported, enabled
Memory Type DDR
Memory Size 3328 MBytes
Channels Single
Memory Frequency 166.3 MHz (4:5)
CAS# 2.5
RAS# to CAS# 3
RAS# Precharge 3
Cycle Time (tRAS) 7
Performance Mode enabled

RAM is pc3200 200 mhz

Well the easiest way to overclock a system, in my opinion, is to flash a custom BIOS to unlock the various CMOS settings. Of course, if you are not familiar with the process of flashing (it can be kinda scary) then I wouldn't recommend this process. You can turn your system into a nice expensive paperweight if something goes wrong. It's happened to me, on accident I flashed the wrong BIOS version (which is easy to do) and the computer was bricked. Luckily for me, my BIOS chip can be easily removed so I just ordered another one and had the old one flashed back to the correct version. Needless to say, if your board's BIOS is soldered to the motherboard, you would either need to have it serviced or find a replacement. Overclocking is a process that contains many dead-ends, in which you must accept your failure to prevent damaging your system. I ultimately decided to step down from practicing it because I got sick of the crashing and the headaches. It's up to you if you want to go through with it but you have my warning.

Yeah im very familiar with flashing, also familiar with bios, cmos and that, all the intermediate comp stuff, hard ware replacing and such. Im interested in this route now that I learn of it, I shall seek further info on it before executing it but at least its within my knowledge range. I was really hoping though that someone could clue me in a little on CPUCool. All of the commotion I heard over overclocking my cpu system seemed to stem around this program. I've hunted and hunted for information on setting my configuration up right for CPUCool (mainboard, PLL control) but I cant find anything and I dont want to mess up anything by just choosing one lol. If I were to go the bios route though I assume ones been already made for my system somewhere on the net(seemed to be a common system) or would I personally have to make the bios for my certain system? As I think about it that means that the mod-bios would have specialized controls for my multipliers,fsb, etc.... that the original dell bios locked out. Am I correct on this? Anyways, thank you for your time and knowledge.

Custom BIOS versions are developed by 3rd party modders and allow many features to be unlocked which may prove useful when trying to overclock. So yes, you are correct for the most part. You can usually find large collections of custom BIOS on other forums and secondary development sites. There is somewhat of a risk involved with flashing you chip with a 3rd party BIOS. Unlike retail BIOS versions, custom BIOS are not professionally tested and must be treated as a "use at your own risk" type of product. However, you can benefit significantly from using a custom BIOS as well. Just do some searching and see what you find. You can also test out a variety of custom BIOS to see which ones are most stable.

As for that CPUCool software you mentioned, I have never used it. I don't recommend using software to overclock system components unless you are overclocking a video card via driver. The best way to adjust settings is from in BIOS.

Ok, as for getting a custom bios for a dell my specs wont happen. Bios is from dell, not a brandname bios but I did get CPUCool to over clock my rig its at 3.3ghz now with a temp of 52-54 stable. Waiting for 3dmark and Sanda Burn-in to download so I can test them under stress. Thanks though man searching for your information actually did point me in the direction of finding what I needed. Thanks for the help man. Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back