Help with "special permissions" please

BlackScarlet

Hello,
I've looked everywhere and I can't find anything addressing this specific issue.
My C drive is jammed up and I'm trying to lighten the burden on it by moving some program files to a different drive using symbolic link. However I have to actually delete the source folder before making the link, and I'm getting the error "You need permission to perform this action."

So I open the folder properties, and navigate to Security>Advanced>Owner and change it from System to Administrators but when I try again it says I need permission from Administrators to delete it. So I look in the Security tab and I see that there is one option that is not available to Administrators, which is "Special Permissions"

permissions.png

I need to gain access to this in order to delete this folder but I am unable to select it as the system will not let me tick the box to allow special permissions. I think without this I cannot successfully move the folder. How do I specifically gain access to this permission? My system is Windows 7.
Thanks for your help!

Hello,
I've looked everywhere and I can't find anything addressing this specific issue.
My C drive is jammed up and I'm trying to lighten the burden on it by moving some program files to a different drive using symbolic link. However I have to actually delete the source folder before making the link, and I'm getting the error "You need permission to perform this action."

So I open the folder properties, and navigate to Security>Advanced>Owner and change it from System to Administrators but when I try again it says I need permission from Administrators to delete it. So I look in the Security tab and I see that there is one option that is not available to Administrators, which is "Special Permissions"

View attachment 89270

I need to gain access to this in order to delete this folder but I am unable to select it as the system will not let me tick the box to allow special permissions. I think without this I cannot successfully move the folder. How do I specifically gain access to this permission? My system is Windows 7.
Thanks for your help!
The grayed-out "Special Permissions" in Windows 7 indicates that you don't have full control over the folder even as an Administrator. Here's how you can likely take ownership and delete the folder:

1. Take Ownership: Right-click the folder, go to "Properties" > "Security" tab > "Advanced" > "Owner" tab. Click "Edit" and change the owner to "Administrators" group. Click "Apply" and confirm any prompts.
  2. Change Permissions: Once you've taken ownership, go back to the "Security" tab and click "Edit". Select "Administrators" and under the "Permissions" section, check "Full control" under "Allow". Click "Apply" and confirm any prompts.
  3. Delete the Folder: Now that you have full Administrator control, you should be able to delete the folder.

Taking ownership and granting full control gives you unrestricted access to the folder. Proceed with caution as deleting system folders can cause instability. If you're unsure about a folder's purpose, it's best to leave it alone.

Back