Help With UnMovable files on HD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thmandan22

"unmovable files" the green ones. If i resize the partition Im guessing they will be lost and operating system will not work? Any way to get these to the front half of the drive?? I want to resize the partition by about half, I have done it before w/ no errors. Any suggestions on if it will mess it up, or if it even matters when I resize and dual boot.
defrag.jpg

partition manager from paragon
will move and allocate with no problems
at least I never had running W2K sp4 on to diff machines
1 intel and 1 amd

If you use a partition manager then it will relocate everything that is needed during a partition resize. You will lose no data unless something goes Wrong.

If you just open up some partition table editor and punch in new numbers then losing a couple of files from the end of the partition is the least of your problems :p

Unmovable files (for builtin defrag) include:

- pagefile.sys

- the registry

- NTFS metadata files ($Mft, $MftMirr, $LogFile, $Volume, $AttrDef, $Bitmap, $Boot, $BadClus, $Secure, $Upcase, $Extend)

It won't defragment directories, either.

I tried using partition magic 8.1 (with patch) for some reason I keep getting this error:
Partition Magic said:
" Error 1513 while executing batch.

Error 1513: Bad attribute position in file record/ Please refer to the online user guide for instructions on how to resolve this issue.

will now reboot.
Pres Any Key to Continue"
Did a quick search and found a patch (8.01?) that supposedly fixes it. Did not fix it. Any suggestions? Or is it hopeless and I should just re install Windows on a smaller partition.

PS: I knew when I accidentaly made windows XP the whole drive I should have not been so lazy as to thinking that I could re-size it with PM8!.

get partition manager paragon
or Acronis disk director suite
system mechanis is supposed to defrag your windows
- pagefile.sys

- the registry

- NTFS metadata files
I have used it ,but not checked to see if it actually does anything
ps creates a dos boot defrags on startup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back