TechSpot

Help With Upgrades - HiDef Playback Wanted

By Liquidd
Jul 14, 2005
  1. Hi. Sorry if this is the wrong forum, I couldn't decide where to submit this.

I'm hoping to make some improvements to my PC so that it will perform some HiDef playback, and I think I'm almost there, but the video still plays a little choppy, so I was looking for advice on what I can upgrade/change to get me over the hump.

I don't play games on my computer, fyi.

I've got a Samsung with DVI input to play the HiDef on.

AMD Athlon XP 2600+
    XGI Volari V3 128mb Video Card
    Realtek AC'97 Audio for VIA (R) Audio Controller
    512mb DIMM - Max 1GB - Am in the process of getting another 512mb
    XP Service Pack 2
    100GB & 80GB IDE HDD's

Advice? Anything else I should list?
    Thanks

2. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,371   +289

If you're talking about high definition video the only things I can see that I'd change are your processor and your RAM. I'd give it a test first to see if the RAM you're getting makes enough of a difference - if not I'd swap out that processor for a faster one. I have tried playing HD Windows Media on my XP 2600 and it skips a bit on that machine - whereas the same video will play perfectly fine on any of my 2.8+ Ghz machines. With the size of the drives you listed I can only assume they're 7200 rpm and that's plenty for just playback.

3. Liquidd

Liquidd TS Rookie Topic Starter

Changing my processor.. I thought it might come to that..

How high can I go?
    What else would I have to change if I changed my processor?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.