TechSpot

Help with using Partition Magic 8

By w33k
Mar 13, 2005
  1. Hey,

I'm trying to resize one of my partitions so that I can create a new partition.

I have two partitions right now, my main one (C:) and one for other stuff (D:) -- both are NTFS if that matters. I have 5 gigs free on D: (the partition is about 145 gigs in total) so I want to use that free space to create a new partition. I am trying to do this using Partition Magic 8, these are the steps I *thought* I should take:

1. Resize D: so that it's only 140 gigs (i.e. current size - 5gigs)
    2. Create a new partition using all the unallocated space (i.e. 5 gigs)
    3. done.

But Partition Magic won't let me resize D: even though it detects there is 5 gigs of unused space...

I also tried to use the "Create Partition" feature directly, and it says that I can take free space or unallocated space to create this new partition, but it only allows me to take 7 megs (which, for whatever reason, is the unallocated space on my hdd) but won't allow me to take any of the unused space from my D:

what am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance...

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

"Won't let resize" means what? A giant red dialog box comes up saying "Oh no you don't!"?

3. w33k

w33k TS Rookie Topic Starter

haha no, there's no error message... Partition Magic dectects that I have 5 gigs free, but when I try to create a new partition, the min/max size it allows me to create this new partition is only 7 megs (the unallocated space I have on my hard drive)

from what I've been told (and makes total sense, now that I think about it) is because my partition is probably fragmented to the point where there isn't 5 gigs of contiguous sectors (or whatever) to create a new partition... but if I try to defrag, I should be able to get a gig or two of contiguous sectors, right?

4. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

You have to make the other partitions smaller to be able to create new ones. You need to use unallocated space for partitions.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.