Help with using Partition Magic 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey,

I'm trying to resize one of my partitions so that I can create a new partition.

I have two partitions right now, my main one (C:) and one for other stuff (D:) -- both are NTFS if that matters. I have 5 gigs free on D: (the partition is about 145 gigs in total) so I want to use that free space to create a new partition. I am trying to do this using Partition Magic 8, these are the steps I *thought* I should take:

1. Resize D: so that it's only 140 gigs (i.e. current size - 5gigs)
2. Create a new partition using all the unallocated space (i.e. 5 gigs)
3. done.

But Partition Magic won't let me resize D: even though it detects there is 5 gigs of unused space...

I also tried to use the "Create Partition" feature directly, and it says that I can take free space or unallocated space to create this new partition, but it only allows me to take 7 megs (which, for whatever reason, is the unallocated space on my hdd) but won't allow me to take any of the unused space from my D:

what am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance...

"Won't let resize" means what? A giant red dialog box comes up saying "Oh no you don't!"?

Nodsu said:
"Won't let resize" means what? A giant red dialog box comes up saying "Oh no you don't!"?

haha no, there's no error message... Partition Magic dectects that I have 5 gigs free, but when I try to create a new partition, the min/max size it allows me to create this new partition is only 7 megs (the unallocated space I have on my hard drive)

from what I've been told (and makes total sense, now that I think about it) is because my partition is probably fragmented to the point where there isn't 5 gigs of contiguous sectors (or whatever) to create a new partition... but if I try to defrag, I should be able to get a gig or two of contiguous sectors, right?

You have to make the other partitions smaller to be able to create new ones. You need to use unallocated space for partitions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back