TechSpot

Hercules Game Theater XP

By boeingfixer
Mar 12, 2002
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey all,

Anyone have this card/setup.

I have a little problem. When my computer boots up I get a loud pops from the speakers. This happens only on boot up. This did not happen when I had my Philips Accustic Edge.

Any suggestions ?
  2. TS | Thomas

TS | Thomas TS Rookie Posts: 1,327

Probably nothing to worry about, I'd assume its just the power going to the external rack when the soundcard initialises.
  3. boeingfixer

boeingfixer TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 1,245

Hey 3DSThomas,

Thanks for the info. You are right, it is not a big deal, its just annoying when I reboot. Just was curious if anyone had the same problem and a fix.
  4. MrGaribaldi

MrGaribaldi TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,802

I have the same problem when muting my speakers from w2k... When I mute/demute (is that a word?) I get a pop sound from my speakers...

Easiest way to fix it is by leaving your speakers turned off until windows has finished loading :D

Or you could put on some extra capacitators, as they should stop the suddenly flow of electricity...
  5. TS | Thomas

TS | Thomas TS Rookie Posts: 1,327

I'd "assume" that's it anyway. Usually the same happens if you shutdown your system when the speakers still on, a pop should happen then too.
  6. boeingfixer

I think i'll stick with the first suggestion and just live with it. :)

But thanks for all your help anyway.
  7. SuperCheetah

SuperCheetah TS Rookie Posts: 868

I have a similar problem with my Audigy X-gamer card and Acoustic speakers. I have a 4 speaker setup and when I start or shutdown my computer I get a thump, I believe from the sudden rush of electricity. Not really much to do about this problem I would think unless like MrGaribaldi says add some capacitators, but that seems a little extreme for such a small problem.
  8. Ai Hate

Ai Hate TS Rookie Posts: 321

yes, i have that too. Audigy + FPS1800
    i dunno if that rush of electricity you said would ruin my speakers in the long run or not, so i just turn the speakers off before turning off the pc.
  9. young&wild

young&wild TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,268

Me too, I think this is normal and there's nothing much to worry.
  10. mchudzia

mchudzia TS Rookie

For those with Herculese GT XP: If you have exessive pop sounds it might be that the Stereo Expansion is enabled when it should not be. you can disable it in the XP GT panel under the Other tab.
  11. boeingfixer

Thanks mchudzia, I will try that and see if it works, I had it enabled so when I reboot I'll listen for (or not) the pop, again thanks

12. erwin1978

erwin1978 TS Maniac Posts: 327

I have the Fortissimo 2 and I do hear a pop when winXP loads. I don't have this problem in win98 or win2000.
  13. boeingfixer

Well I did disable it and I still hear a pop, but just the slightest of ones. It's alot better than it was. Thanks a mil.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.