Here is a hard job only for Techspot nuts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

spartanslayer

I need to know the maximum possible length of ethernet cable a MOTOROLA SURFBOARD SB5120 can do. I am going to put on a ethernet cable and a wireless router at the end. I need to know how much cable I can use before the signal is to slow or weak. Good Luck Guys!

not specific to Moto

From this site: http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/maximum-cable-length.asp

Fast Ethernet: 100 baseT (100 mbps)- 100 meters
10 baseT (10 mbps)- 100 meters
This is with RJ45 connectors. Since any modem, including Surfboard, relies on ample signal strength, I would think these specs would apply. ( Google can be your friend!)

Are ya pilfering a signal from the other end of the football field? :angel:

Thanks a lot guys, that's exactly what I need to know. Couldn't find that info after hours of search :rolleyes: . Thanks again. CASE CLOSED.

If you get close to the maximum, you may notice some signal degradation in the form of lower speeds... I think you can do something to shield the cable and squeeze another 10-15m out of it, can't really remember though...

If you're just trying to get a wireless router close enough to one of your systems to get a solid signal, you could try installing a directional antenna on your wireless router... I did that because I had lots of walls and pipes b/w my computer and the router, and it worked remarkably better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back