Hi i need adive on my computer not starting up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liamallen2530

Hiya everyone im new to this site but am wondering if any one could give me advice on how to get my computer working.
I started to restore my computer to an earlier date and it froze, so i turned it off by the button and when it turned back on again it goes through all the usual screens before loading up the desktop, but then starts again and goes through them all again. This just keep happening and ther is no way i can get it to go on to my desktop.
I was just wondering if anyone knew what i shud do to fix my problem please. Any help would be very much appriciated. Thanx ;)

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Can you boot into safe mode? Tapping the F8 key just before the windows loading screen appears will bring up a menu of start up options scroll to and select safe mode.

If you can get into safe mode you can do another system restore if you wish.

Also you may want to have a look at the following thread www.techspot.com/vb/topic8356.html

Hope this helps Regards Howard

:wave: :wave:

More help needed please!

Hi thanks for the advice it is very much appriciated. :eek:

Ive tried the method you suggested of going into safe mode but as i get onto the screen that enables me to select safe mode, I press the up and down arrows and nothing happens, it wont let me select anything. Do you know why this is please?

Also I have looked at the thread posted on the link you gave me but i am not able to boot up windows as my cd drive stopped working a few months ago so i placed another drive in underneath it. So when i try booting up the cd it tries booting from my 1st cd drive which does not work.

Do you have any more advice on what i can do please, i am really stuck on what to do and really need to get it fixed? :confused:

Are you running XP?
and are you using a USB Keyboard / mouse?
Ihad a similar experience while using XP's system restore.
I don't think the USB drivers were functional after the aborted
restore.... I tried using a PS2 Kboard and it let me use the "up/down"
arrows to select safe mode....... and re-run the restore.

If you go into your bios settings usually by pressing either the F1 or delete key you can select which cd drive to boot from.

I.E I would set my boot order like this drive E(cd) drive 0(hard drive)drive A(floppy)

Regards Howard :grinthumb

Your normal boot device, usually your C: hard drive, should be last in the boot sequence. The main purpose of having your CD and the Floppy before it in the boot sequence is to enable you to boot from them if you are having trouble booting normally from your C: hard drive.

Gunny said:
Your normal boot device, usually your C: hard drive, should be last in the boot sequence. The main purpose of having your CD and the Floppy before it in the boot sequence is to enable you to boot from them if you are having trouble booting normally from your C: hard drive.

Well said Gunny.

Regards Howard
:grinthumb

Briefly off topic:

Hi Howard. I've crossed paths with you several times but never said Hi. Good to meet you. :D

PS: I don't like the Big Grin smiley - it is too toothy!

Nice to meet you too mate.

I`ll see what i can doo about the toothy smilie lol.

Regards Howard
Wizard.gif

Thanx

Thank you both for your help on how to solve my problem.
I have tried changing my boot sequence but this stil does not seem to work.
I am currently trying to get hold of a ps2 keyboard to try instead of my USB keyboard. Hopefully this will work.

:eek:

More help please...

Hi, I have got hold of a PS2 keyboard and it works and lets me select safe mode BUT as it starts to load up safe mode the same problem accurs and my computer restarts itself again and does not go onto safemode.
Has anyone got anymore suggestions on what i can do please?
Any help is very much appriciated. Thank You :confused:

sorry to hear that the keyboard didn't help. It looks like your baest bet
is going to be to "repair" the instalation.
You will need your XP CD and you will need to change the BIOS to get the
machine to boot from CD. Pop the CD into the CD Drive, re-boot and select
the Repair option and follow the prompts from there..... if this fails, it looks
like you may have to re-install from scratch...but don't give up yet.
There are lots of folks on the BB that could help. :D

howard_hopkinso said:
Nice to meet you too mate.

I`ll see what i can doo about the toothy smilie lol.

Regards Howard
Wizard.gif
you say mate. are you english or australian by any chance?

Mudshark said:
sorry to hear that the keyboard didn't help. It looks like your baest bet
is going to be to "repair" the instalation.
You will need your XP CD and you will need to change the BIOS to get the
machine to boot from CD. Pop the CD into the CD Drive, re-boot and select
the Repair option and follow the prompts from there..... if this fails, it looks
like you may have to re-install from scratch...but don't give up yet.
There are lots of folks on the BB that could help. :D

Ya from the sounds of it that sounds like the only option you have, that or reformatting but don't think you want to do that.

I notice the 2 times i did repair a while back my system seem to run a bit slower ha ha ha why is that? Does anyone else notice that? is there anyway to get it back to normal when that happens (theres a way to do everything ha ha ha guess what i mean is does anyone happen to know)? Don't stress to much on the question because none of my computers are in this spot now just was wondering.

Eiko Tec said:
Ya from the sounds of it that sounds like the only option you have, that or reformatting but don't think you want to do that.

I notice the 2 times i did repair a while back my system seem to run a bit slower ha ha ha why is that? Does anyone else notice that? is there anyway to get it back to normal when that happens (theres a way to do everything ha ha ha guess what i mean is does anyone happen to know)? Don't stress to much on the question because none of my computers are in this spot now just was wondering.
Well once you repair your install you need to go to windows update and get all the relevant updates again, as the repair restores all the original files, which most are probably outdated.

No such thing as a stupid question. You can simply put in the CD and choose install and from there let the CD do the work, just make sure you choose to delete a partition and create a new one.

If you go the full install route... just try and get a copy of the drivers for the
hardware on the PC. Like the graphics, sound and network cards as well
as chipset drivers. Fortunately XP does a pretty good job of ID'ing hardware
and has a pretty extensive driver database so you'll probably be good until
you get network connection working again, then you can download the latest
drivers again.
Re-install is painful, I hope you don't have to go that route....but it's good
practice :D (sorry about the teeth Gunny :) )

:eek: Don't do a full install yet, just do a "repair". Liamallen2530 only had a restore point failure.

Boot to the XP cdrom and start the install process. When it comes to the screen asking if you want to install or repair, select install. Then it goes to the license screen where you have to push the F8 key. Push it, then it will come to another screen asking you if you want to install or repair. Choose repair and this will reinstall XP and retain your computer settings, programs and file. Try this first.

Make sure to go to microsoft xp update after this to get all the current updates.

As far as the cd drive that doesn't work, why don't you just remove it from your computer? It's not doing any good in there if it don't work. :giddy:

Booting from my CD drive does not work :mad:

I have tried booting my XP disc to re-install it but it does not boot up. Is this because it is a cd re-writer and not just a normal drive???? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back