Hi Res Quandry

Status
Not open for further replies.

vega

I've been using my geoforce 2 ti 64 meg card for around two years with no problems but recently, I find that whenever I launch an accelerated game from the desktop, the monitor starts making a clicking noise (to indicate a change of resolution), flashes once or twice, and then goes straight back to the desktop!
sometimes, I manage to get onto the games intro screen but more often than not, as soon as I click on the start/begin button to commence play, the monitor flicks again and dumps me back onto the desktop!
I find that if I repeatedly click the mouse whilst launching, the game sometimes works but more often the usual stuff happens.
Is my card on its last legs? When it does work, I can play the latest games at max res and at speed but I'd love to know why its playing up as I don't relish having to splash out on yet another card.

which games ? that'd help

usual stuff to try first i guess,

DirectX version - make sure it's the latest or if you don't want to, at least a recent enough version to be compatible with the games.

Drivers up to date etc too, make sure you've updated windows too i guess, failing that, fresh load ur OS and try again with the latest drivers etc, if that don't work maybe you do have something wrong with your hardware.

what OS are you running btw ?

Ive downloaded the latest version of Direct x (9.0 I think)and I installed the latest nvidia driver last week (much better than the last one IMO). my processor is an AMD 1.7, my board is a gigabyte 7dxe, I,m currently using 256 meg DDR and my os is W2K pro.
I get Pc Zone magazine, one of which I got this morning - I've installed 3 demos from the mag - Splinter Cell (took much frantic mouse clicking before it finally managed to get rolling), Delta force Black Hawk Down (was dumped back to desktop 4 times before the game got going) and mechwarrior 4 (never managed to get it rolling as I 'm always dumped onto the desktop).
I usually run my games at 1200 - 1600 resolutions and if the program in mind does'nt screw up and vanish, I usually have no problem.

As it turns out, the culprit was my new monitor - I bought myself a new 19 in monitor some weeks back but as I was skint at the time, I ended up buying a real cheap generic model.
My previous monitor (gateway ev700) had absolutley no issues and handled various resolutions and refresh rates with ease but the new monitor baulkes at everything and has to be cajoled into working with high resolutions - this means that whenever I attempt to run a program, I have to frantically click the mouse button very quickly (don't ask me what it does but it works) whilst the program is loading - if I don't do this, I'm dumped straight back onto the desktop.
As the old saying goes , You pays yer money etc etc!

try that refresh rate thing that mict posted. you can set what rate at different resolutions for games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back