Hiding/Restricting hard drives for Limited Users in XP Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

winxpuser

Hoping someone can help me out with this.

I am running XP Home SP 3.

I have two local users (no networking) one is an admin (me) the the other is a limited user. I would like to hide two internal harddrives and one external (USB) harddrive from the limited user and restrict them from accessing it.

So when I log in, I want to see and be able to acces (read/wrtie) to all the drives.

When the limited user logs in, I do not want them to see or be able to access the drives - ideally they would only be able to access their 'Documents' folder.

Can this be accomplished in XP Home, or do I need to upgrade to XP PRo, Vista, 7?

If I do upgrade, how difficult is it to accomplish this?

I have tried using TweakUI, but this only works on the admin account (option for hiding does not show up when logged in as limited user).

I would consider setting up an additonal limited user for me if that would help.

Hmmmm....

re: TweakUI
> you couldn't access the hide/display settings panel as a limited user
> That sounds right. A limited user shouldn't have registry access (which TweakUI does)
> Did you just look if the drives were hidden once you did it under Admin account?
Here's a post that tells how to do it manually, but it;s essentially what TweakUI does.

re: Setting Permissions
Essentially, you need access to the Security tab for a file/folder's Properties. As i recall, for XP Home you need boot into safe mode to see the Security tab. Then assign permissions as you please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back