TechSpot

High Ping?

By cfitzarl
Jan 4, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My friend has Ve**on DSL service @ 768KBPS. He plays a lot of online games, and has complained about ping as high as 250 on the servers. He is also knocked off of them due to this problem. I am not educated highly in internet (mostly stay in Audio/Video and CPU sections of the forum), and I was wondering if a diagnosis could be made for him. Also note that he is quite a distance away from the central service center (I know that DSL slows as it is extended far from the C.S.C). Thanks in advance :wave: !
  2. Nodsu

Nodsu Newcomer, in training Posts: 9,431

Does your friend have a router? Maybe try connecing without it?
    Does your friend use any p2p programs that may be hogging the connection? Maybe close these?
    Does your friend have a software firewall? Maybe try disabling that (and use the Windows builtin one)?
  3. cfitzarl

cfitzarl TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 2,520   +9

He has the Windows Firewall, and Norton Firewall (which I find annoying). That's about it. He only has one computer so no router is installed. Note that this happens of Counter Strike: Source.
  4. monton

monton TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 146

One firewall is enough. Two can lead to conflicts and headache causing troubleshooting complexity. Try one at a time and see if there is a diff. You could also turn 'em both off to check performance and then turn one and/or the other back on.
    Monton
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.