High resolution hurt tv?

By vassil3427
Mar 16, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey guys,
    I have an Ati Radeon 9600 AIW, and I hooked it up to my tv using one of the s-video outputs, it looks awesome, but I'm wondering. It says the tv is running at 1024x768, which matches my desktop resolution. I thought normal tv's were limited to like 800x600 or somewhere around there? Will this higher resolution hurt my tv?
    The tv is an APEX 24" Flat Tube.

Pic Attached, dont mind the lines, they arent really there, just the affect a digital camera has I guess

Attached Files:

2. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

The resolution doesn't hurt, you can use 160x120 just as well as 2048x1536. It's another thing if you can read text then however.

Basically the only thing that matters is refresh rate, keep it at 60 if your TV uses NTSC.
  3. vassil3427

vassil3427 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 822

Thanks Mic, thats all I needed to know, I dont need to read text, just play games....Goes well with my wireless mouse and keyboard, I just need a lazyboy chair now
  4. Rory7

Rory7 Newcomer, in training Posts: 164

is the game quality good on your tv? My friend has a 9600 and he has it connected to his tv and the quality is really bad. You can make things out but its all really blury
  5. vassil3427

The quality is excellent
  6. Godataloss

Godataloss Newcomer, in training Posts: 501

I believe 800 * 600 is all that svid is capable of...
  7. vassil3427

well not on my tv I guess...Its running at 1024x768...I tried 800x600 but it doesnt look right...
  8. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

Most non-HDTV televisions, however, can't display more than 400-480 vertical lines separately. High resolutions might look like "everything" is displayed, but if you observe the picture more closely, you'll see that small details are blurred.
  9. Godataloss

Godataloss Newcomer, in training Posts: 501

My toshiba 36'tube will do 600 horizontal lines through svid with a video camera as a source.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.