TechSpot

High temperatures on AMD CPU?

By ace2001
Sep 6, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Hello guys,
    I built myself a new PC and it is pretty loud so I am worried I didn't made a good seal between thermal paste and a CPU, I use a stock AMD cooler and the CPU is AMD Athlon X4 760K, no overclocking.
    Max temperatures that my BIOS showed was I think 69°C-71°C.
    Should I be worried and should I replace thermal paste or it's all OK?
    Thanks in advance. :D

2. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

That seems a bit hot. AMD recommends that the 760K stay below 74C and you are approaching that point. I would recommend putting $35 into a Hyper 212 Evo. that will ensure cool temps on the cheap.

3. nickc

nickc TechSpot Paladin Posts: 923   +11

Neither Intel or AMD stock coolers are worth the sweat it took to build them. the Hyper 212 Evo should help.

4. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,551   +2,894

There is nothing wrong with stock coolers, under normal conditions for the average user. One look at your signature and I fully understand why you would make that statement. Folding@home is not a normal condition or a project an average user participates in. In fact Folding@home makes one very prejudice against stock coolers.

5. GhostRyder

GhostRyder This guy again... Posts: 2,191   +590

Would not worry, that's about average for a stock cooler in all honesty under load.

Unless you want to overclock, I would just stick with what you have!