HijackThis Logfile for Consultation

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueSwede

***Please scroll down to new (Mar 30) message maybe I should have started a new thread but I thought a reference to my previous message might be helpful?***

Hello I'm new here. Hope I did this right, here is my HijackThis log. Hoping an expert can have a look for me.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Your log looks a little bloated, but I can`t see any nasties.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Back again

Sorry, I'm back. I have a problem with my W2000 machine this is th eerror message I get from Symantec Anti-Tamper:

SYMANTEC TAMPER PROTECTION ALERT

Target: C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe
Event Info: Open Process
Action Taken: Blocked
Actor Process: C:\WINNT\system32\rundll32.exe (PID 1940)
Time: Thursday, March 30, 2006 8:28:24 PM

I've posted a new hijack this log file, below.

Here it is

This is my logfile taken just now. The problem (frequent Symantec Tamper Alerts on shutdown and restart) began after I naively downloaded a new media player and codex which is something I'm not so familiar with, and best not do anymore.

Thanks Howard (or if another helpful person looks at this, then thank you!)

Do yourself favour and get rid of that Symantec/Norton crapware.

Get AVG free instead from HERE.

Go HERE and follow all the instructions exactly, then post a fresh HJT log.

Regards Howard :)

Ok Howard thanks a lot! I will post again after going through the steps above. I'm thinking NAV may be detecting something benign and reacting to that - I also enabled my NvMedia monitor adjustment package today before all this started. Anyway back in some hours...

Like I said. get rid of NAV. The amount of problems we see here due to Symantec/Norton crap is unbelievable. You will also notice a marked improvement in your systems performance without that bloatware.

howard_hopkinso said:
Like I said. get rid of NAV. The amount of problems we see here due to Symantec/Norton crap is unbelievable. You will also notice a marked improvement in your systems performance without that bloatware.

Well today I replaced NAV with AVG on my laptop and I must admit I saw the difference in speed right away. My desktop is another matter, the whole thing is bloated, anyway about the above problem I traced it to enabling a monitor (screen) adjustment feature so I could change brightness/contrast -- I disabled that and the errors stopped. I have to go out of town will not be posting the Hijack This right now, but my laptop thanks you for the advice my RAM use went down from above 30k to below 10k.

Swede

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back