TechSpot

Home Network File/Printer Sharing Setup , internet Speed slows, **Help Needed**

By thmandan22
Dec 30, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ok, so we get a new computer, We have a router already, our old computer, and my xbox (for xboxlive) hooked up to it. Speed is fast everything is great, i hook up my new computer , The speed is still great (3Megabit downstream and 256Kb up). So one day I am pondering an alternative to burning 20 CD-R's to transfer the data, and i come across "share files and printer" SO i try to set it up, but i am going between Windows ME and Windows XP HOME SP2. I can recieve Files on my New computer and send them from my Old Computer, that is great, so i transfer about 5GB of data in about 30minutes. So i have important files from the old computer on my new computer, this is great. only later do i find out that the internet is slow now. It was fine before i enabled the file sharing between the computer. but afterword, slowness. taking a alot longer to load webpages, so i was wondering, Why is this, Maybe and explanation , or somthing that i could do to fix this, OR any help, Please respond THANK YOU, DAN
  2. me(who else?)

me(who else?) TS Rookie Posts: 433

Are you browsing while sharing/transfering files? That would definitely cause it.

Edit: This is in the wrong forum... :hotouch:
  3. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,539   +301

I Fixed it.
  4. thmandan22

thmandan22 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 73

No, before i enabled file sharing everything was just fine , and we could browse the web at the same time with no adverse speed affect, but after it definatly slowed down. (We were still on a lan before we just couldnt share files)

Well, i seemed to fix it. I disabled the file/print share and, then I did another reboot of the modem, router and networked computers. The router and modem must have been tired or somthing.I really dont know otherwise, but im guessing that when i enabled the file/print share it was corrupt somehow and my computers where having a hard time sharing the connection because somthing was going on. somwhere. I'm guessing that there were little people in my CAt5 cord fighting, just a guess, i could be totally wrong.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.