Home Network Routing - Using a Switch for file transfers?

mopar man

I recently started using a gigabit switch alongside my TP-Link router.

My room is setup like a LAN area, with a desk long enough for 4 pc's, so I have 4 cables running from the switch to the computers.

My router is providing DHCP and has a PS3 and VOIP phone plugged up to it.

Is there anything blaring that would cause the machines not to transfer files at gigabit speeds? Currently they transfer at 10-12mbps, which is normal for a 10/100 connection.

Anything I'm missing?

I can get into a lot of detail, but I need to know what needs to be told. :)

Weakest link in the chain prevails.
Code:
ISP=Router--switch-- PC{1+}
	  |
	  +--- other device(s)
Consider just devices attached to the router, the slowest Nic {wired or wifi} will control the bandwidth to the device. A PC with a 10/100 adapter dominate data to/from it regardless of the GB Switch. If PC.a and PC.b (both with GB adapters and attached to the switch) copy 'twix each other, you may get much better performance.

Data to/from other devices (attached to the router) will be dominated by the Router LAN port speeds or the devices themselves.

99% of us get no benefit whatsoever from GB routers or Switches as all devices need GB ratings :sigh:

Understood, but what do you mean if they copy 'twix each other? Both PC.a and PC.b have GB NIC's and are attached to the GB switch, with my goal of taking the wireless out of the equation for anything other than offering DHCP.

Both PC.a and PC.b have GB NIC's and are attached to the GB switch
hmm - - I would have thought that should have worked well too! Sole caveat is the connection from PC.a to PC.b has to also get to the router to find a routing table and data will not take the shortcut of staying within the switch.

Exactly... I will try to investigate further. I will be rewiring everything in a week or so and we will see then!

Back