Home PC doesn't start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
When I start my PC all I get is an Intel picture on the monitor, and after that it freezes. I am not sure what has caused the problem, but I would appreciate it if you could help me on diagnosing/fixing this problem.
I am running a P4, 3Mgh, 40gb HD. And I have recently installed a DVD burner, but I don't think that should be a problem.

Thank You.

AD.

do you get into the bios? or does that crash too?

try to put a memory testing tool onto a diskette from another computer. (memtest 86 or better windows memory diagnostic tool.) and run through the procedures to see if your memory is messed.

everyone would also say that it might be your PSU but in my opinion thats a myth in most cases.

in the worst case it might be a broken motherboard and/or overclocked/messed cpu.

is everything plugged in correctly? maybe some more information would be helpful.

OSRAM,...Thanks for your prompt response.

I can't get to the bios. I have checked the wires, end everything seems to be plugged just OK.
Can I get the test memory software from the web, because I don't have one.
What is a PSU?
You have also mentioned that it could be a broken motherboard!!
What are the possible causes that could lead to such a situation?

Let me know if you need further information. Thanks a lot.

well you can get the software from the web but you need to burn it to a cd or put it on a floppy to run it before windows starts up. but i doubt it will run at all if you cant even get past the bios.

a PSU is a power supply.

the motherboard is the part of the computer which generally speaking breaks most often...

it can be damaged quite easily when slipping off with your screwdriver when installing the heatsink for example. the copper-channels are very sensitive. also with my last asus a7v8x board i noticed it could only be attached to the case very craptastic so that it was only locked on about 2-3 plugs (the round thingies which go through the fixation holes of the mobo). specially if the mobo isnt very "stable", means.. if it is very flexible.. you have to be very careful.

also i had the problem when bios of the mobo isnt updated it doesnt always set the correct cpu-frequency-settings so that can be very dangerous if it is using an overclocked setting.

try switching the position of your RAM stick. its always handy if you have several fitting parts for the same system to test where the error might be.

Also...

Clear your cmos. If that dosent work, try unplugging your new drive. If that works, you may not have the jumpers set up right. ESD (electrical static discharge) may have damaged something.

Well, thank you guys for your help. The problem was in fact my new DVD burner. As soon as I unplugged it, I was able to start the PC. I am not sure what to do to resolve this issue, because I really need my DVD to be there. All I did is removing a CD drive, and putting the DVD burner in its place. I put the jumper in the same pins as the CD drive. Any s****tions on how to resolve this? Could it be the PSU? Some of these devices need to change when you install a new hardware. Thanks

i dont think its the PSU. PSU are in 99% of the cases a myth in my opinion. my reseller said he has a 410W PSU. with 6 hdds, 5 DVD drives etc. etc.

i had myself a cheaptastic PSU that didnt even give you 250W because it was so cheap. so buying myself a 400W (450W) PSU didnt help at all when i had the old problems.

eeeeh. you say u've put exactly the same jumper settings: but for different brands there are different jumper-settings. did you check the jumper-information written somewhere on the dvd-drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back