Horrific AGP(?) problems in Win2k/XP

By TSDMK
Feb 8, 2002
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I decided to try an upgrade to WinXP (after my father brought a corporate copy of WinXP Pro home...shhh ;) ), so I backed up my important files, formatted and installed. Everything goes smoothly, all drivers are installed, and I try to open Half-Life...boom, hard lock up. I rebooted, and I get a message that my Nvidia GeForce3 Ti200 drivers are causing problems, etc. Well, I reinstall a different version of the drivers and try again. Lock up, same message on reboot. I try to run DxDiag, and it freezes through half way. Try again, this time it says there was a problem on the DirectDraw step of the tests. I skip it and Direct3D acceleration is disabled...and running the DirectDraw test freezes it.

Rather annoyed with this outcome, I reformat and install Win2K. As with before, it doesn't isntall a CPU-to-AGP bridge (just a Standard PCI-to-PCI) so AGP is disabled. I load up Intel drivers via a installer on my mobo's driver disk. Reboot, and then on the splash screen it goes corrupt (masses of randomly coloured pixels everywhere) and locks up. I boot into safe mode, remove the intel drivers, and yet it still locks up at the splash screen. Once again I format and reinstall Win2K, which is where I am now...

System:
    P3-1Ghz @ 1125Mhz (150 x 7.5)
    384 MB SDRAM
    i815 chipset motherboard
    Inno3d GeForce3 Ti200
    20GB HDD (NTFS)

Any ideas? :confused:
  2. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 Newcomer, in training Posts: 6,504

MS upgrades are the devil

Okay, you say you upgraded your windows 2000 to XP, yeah???

I've never had any luck with that kind of BS. Try a clean format and install. Its a pain, I know. But MS is getting silly if it thinks it can upgrade anything to anything.
  3. TSDMK

TSDMK Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

I did infact clean format my hard drive before installing, both times from Win2K/XP setup.
  4. TS | Thomas

TS | Thomas Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,327

Go to a site like http://3dchipset.com & check out some of the leaked 2k/xp drivers - I'm using 27.20 at the moment. The official NVIDIA ones have some problems in xp at the moment.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.