Hosting websites from home

I am currently living in Germany and had my websites setup and working in the States with Static IP's. I now live in Germany and would like to host a simple photo sharing site using my servers I brought with me. pretty sure my IP is changing from time to time, how can I host my website from home. This is not a business, just sharing pictures.

Hosting is quite cheap these days, starting at around 3 € a month. Not sure hosting at home is a good choice for anything else than experiments 😉

With ca. 3 € you can pay for a full-fledged Linux VPS where you can install anything you want. Specs are around 1 CPU (shared) and 512 to 1024 MiB of RAM, with 10 to 20 GiB of storage.

Whether that is limited or not is difficult to say without further information from OP.

It's usually (web)hosting orientated; not "install anything you want"

1 CPU with 512MB ram or even 1024MB is very limited too.

I mean I'm satisfied when I have something like 64 threads / 128GB of RAM, Cloudlinux and Litespeed. That's a server.

That's a server, indeed! Maybe 128 GiB of RAM is a bit excessive to "host a simple photo sharing site", though.

I am currently living in Germany and had my websites setup and working in the States with Static IP's. I now live in Germany and would like to host a simple photo sharing site using my servers I brought with me. pretty sure my IP is changing from time to time, how can I host my website from home. This is not a business, just sharing pictures.
You can use a Dynamic DNS (DDNS) service to link a custom domain name to your changing home IP. Look up free DDNS providers and update your domain registrar's DNS settings to point to the DDNS service. This lets people access your site using the domain name even though your IP changes. Remember, security is important for home servers, so research basic security measures before uploading photos.

Back