Hot Cpu!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eazy_duz_em

Hi.. :p
My question is..what can a hot CPU do or cannot do?
My amd 64 3500+ runs at 50C degrees Non-Oc in IDLE!!!
can it run slower because of that?
Will it's life be shortened?
can cpu usage increase because of that?

Well, best case scenario is that your system will automatically detect that you are overheating, and shut your system down.

Other than that, you are at risk of permanently damaging your system, so it is best to find out the cause of your cooling problems and solve them asap.

I'd start by cleaning out as much dust from your computer as you can with a can of compressed air, and that all your fans are working.

If that doesn't do it, you may need to remove the heatsink and apply some new thermal paste.

65c - 70c is the maximum temp for most Athlon64 cpus, so you are up there by the sounds of it. I'd take action asap.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

Cool 'n' Quiet is only available on SP2 right?...because the freq never drops so CnQ does not work(Bios eneabled).

Not sure about the Cool n Quiet thing as I do not own a AMD CPU.

But, what program are you using to get the temps? I know speedfan can somtimes have a conflcit with sensors.

Id double check idle temps in the BIOS.

Mic, eazy is using ECS nForce3-A939 motherboard. I highly doubt it.

After a quick viewing the product manual... i found nothing. That confirm it. The Quiet 'n' Cool is integrated in BIOS In most of MSI, ABIT and ASUS motherboard.

Perhaps it is something wrong with your HS and fan. THey should be high quality with plenty of CFM. My recommendation is having the copper with aluminum combo with fan runs at least 4000 RPM.

Or Follow DonNagual's advice, open up the case and find out whats wrong. If you dont know how to open or fix the problem with HS, i recommend you to ask your friend or computer technician to take a look on this.

i know how to repair a pc..it's just that the pc is in warranty so i cannot open it. :| :(
Still i may have my sensor busted, I can only check temps in bios every software i tryed showed me a random value from -22C to 122C(Everest,speedfan).
So from the bios the C'n'Q is enabled..what drivers do i need on the amd site i only found them for Win2000 or SP2..i think..

air goes through anything.. just try it.. it may not be as effective as going directly on the hsf itself, but it will dislodge some of it..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back